Bangalore is famous for lot of things like awesome weather, clean air and safe environment. But most of all, it is a foodie paradise too as it has many famous restaurants from all around the world. I am going to list few iconic food eatries of Bangalore based on my personal experience and research that are known for their authentic taste and are reminiscent of the old times. These will bring back memories of the past for many people.
- MTR (Mavalli Tiffin Rooms) – A must place to go, if you want to try typical south Indian breakfast. Its first restaurant in Bangalore was established on Lalbagh road in 1960. Specialities include Rava idli, Masala dosa, Chandrhara ( sweet made of maida and khoa), bisibile bhath, khara bhath and pure filter coffee.
Address- #14, Lalbagh Road, Bengaluru – 560027
Pic courtsey- Tripadvisor.in
2. Iyengar Bakery– The first cake we had when we moved to Bangalore was from Iyengar Bakery. It’s different from many other modern day bakeries these days with simple bakery products. But, we love the sponge cake and potato puff. Many other specialities are Potato bun, Honey cake, Khara bun, benne biscuit and apple bun.
Address- Next to Jayanagar 4th Block complex, 4th block Main Road.
3. Corner house– A famous ice cream joint started in 1982 and has 15 outlets in the city now. We love its DBC ( Death by chocolate). Many other specialities are- Hot chocolate fudge, Dry fruit sundae, Royal butterscotch, Cake fudge, fruit jackpot. It has many outlets across Bangalore now but the first Corner house was started at Residency Road.
Address- 45/3, Gopalkrishna Complex, Near Mayo Hall, Off Residency Road, Residency Road, Bangalore
Pic courtesy- Justdial
4. Koshy’s– It was started around 1952-53 as an extension of popular Koshy’s Bakery. It is known for its breakfast dishes. It has that old world charm to it. Specialities include some great seafood dishes and non veg dishes like fish curry, keema with pav and different varieties of omelettes. It will give you a feel of an old iran/parsi restaurant.
Address- 39, St. Marks Road, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Image courtesy- Vogue.
5. Karavalli– It is a place to be if you love coastal food. It has a look of an old Mangalorean house. It is almost two decades old and serves coastal food with many famous dishes from coastal regions of Goa and Kerala. It is started inside Gateway Taj group in 1978.
Address- Residency Road Bangalore
6. Indian coffee house– It was established in 1957 on MG road in Bangalore and later shifted to Church Street. If you want to have some authentic dosa, pure filter coffee and eggs with toast, and looking for a place that is pocket friendly, ICH is the place to be. Even though there are many new baristas and coffee places have opened around that area with much better ambience and modern furniture, but if you want to have that old Bangalore feel, try ICH.
Address- No-19, Brigade Garden, Church Street , Behind MG Road, Bengaluru.
7. Brahmin’s coffee bar– One more famous authentic breakfast destination for people in Bangalore. It can make you a fan of Idlis and vadas. It is famous for its special chutney which is different from others. Not a very elaborate menu and place gets crowded in the mornings for breakfast. If you want to try some yummylicious idlis with special chutney on a Sunday morning, it is a place to be.
Address- Ranga Rao Road, Near Shankar Math, Shankarpuram, Basavanagudi Area, Basavanagudi, Bangalore.
Image courtesy- Tripadvisor.in
These are all the restaurants from my list. Do share with me your favourite ones too.