Parents try to inculcate good habits, values, and morals in their kids. But kids learn better by watching than by listening to their parents. As parents, one must try to be good role models to teach good things to their kids. There are a few activities which a parent must start as early as possible as they help in the overall development of the child.
One such activity which is my favourite as a mom and really helps kids learn a lot of things is – Reading. I started bringing books for my daughter when she was just a few months old. In fact, you get those feel and touch books for small kids with brightly coloured pictures. Once they are almost 1 year old, you can get hardbound books with large colourful pictures.
Along with all this, I made sure to take her to a nearby library or bookshops to get books. I also used to sit with her and read every day. That’s why she is an avid reader today and I am a happy mom as I feel reading is the best habit a child can have.
Here are few reasons to encourage the habit of reading in kids –
- Reading can help in the cognitive development of the child. Parents believe that only if a child is eating good food and gaining healthy weight, it’s enough for good development but it’s not true. A good overall development also means good cognitive development and reading is one activity which helps in it.
- Reading can help your kids to develop good language skills. While you are reading to them, they hear a lot of new words which can help in increasing their vocabulary too. As early you start reading with them, the more beneficial it is as an infant learns fast through loud reading.
- It is a great way to introduce your child to the world of books. Reading with your infant or toddler is not as easy as it looks and needs special tricks to get them interested. As I said earlier, make sure you get bright colourful and age-appropriate books to get them interested. You can’t expect an infant to sit for longer periods of time but you can read the stories aloud to catch their attention.
- Reading also helps kids to be more creative and increase their knowledge. It is better than watching TV or sitting on gadgets. It helps them to explore the world around them and therefore helps them to be creative. Also, there are different types of books like art and craft books, poetry books, cooking books, or just the facts book which can enrich their knowledge and boost creativity.
- Last but not least, reading together can help you to bond better with your child. I remember the time when my daughter was small, my husband and I used to read her story books every night and it was a perfect way to bond with her. Also, I used to take her regularly to the library, bookshops or any book fairs happening around.
Recently, I came to know about a literature festival organised by Neev academy which is happening in Bangalore on 28th and 29th of September. It is a children’s literature festival with the intention to celebrate books and the love of reading. The second day is open to all parents, students or anybody who wants to take your kids to this interesting festival. Distinguished authors and speakers are coming in for various reading, writing, storytelling workshops, and panel discussions.
Another interesting thing which I really liked is that they are organizing Neev Book Awards 2018 for distinguished children’s literature. They also aim to recognize outstanding writing that leads to a fuller understanding of India, Indian lives and Indian stories. The nominated entries can be viewed at http://neevliteraturefestival.org/awards.html
The best part is that it’s completely free. One can view the programme schedule on their website: http://neevliteraturefestival.org/
So, what are you waiting for? It’s a great way to introduce your child to the world of books and also encourage the habit of reading in kids.