Paneer or cottage cheese is one of the most famous and favourite food ingredient in India. I call it the king of Indian food dishes as it can be easily used any recipe and it can turn a normal recipe to an extraordinary just with its presence.
My younger one is a big fan of paneer and if you ask her choice of food, it will always be a paneer dish especially while dining out. I don’t mind giving her paneer as it is healthy and rich in vitamins and minerals. It is my go-to ingredient when I am out of ideas and you will always find paneer at my home. Although we get fresh paneer outside, I try to make it at home from milk. This way at least I know that it’s safe and free from any preservatives or external additives.
How to make paneer easily at home?
This is a simple method to make fresh paneer at home with milk. Sharing the steps with you.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan.
- Bring it to boil.
- Once it boils, add lemon or vinegar.
- Reduce the flame and you will see the milk starts curdling immediately.
- Keep stirring and strain it out once you see the milk is completely curdled.
- Use a thin straining cloth and squeeze out all water from it.
- Wash it under cold water to remove all the vinegar or lemon flavour.
- Now tie it in the same cloth nicely and keep on a flat surface.
- Place a heavy pot or a pan filled with water to weigh it down for almost 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes or little more than this, (more time you keep it under a heavy object, it’s better) cut into squares and use in any dish you like.
Paneer tikka is a yummy recipe which is favourite in my house. Sometimes you have to cook up things in a hurry when you are out of time. Paneer tikka is my discovery when I had some last minute guests at home and not much time to cook something fancy.
If you have time, you can make it in tandoor or griller. I am sharing a recipe for a pan cooked paneer tikka.
- 200 gm paneer
- Capsicum (Red, yellow and green if possible, otherwise only green is also ok) – Cut into cubes 1 small each
- Onion – 1 small (cut into squares)
- For marination -
- 3 tbsp besan
- 1 tbsp Curd
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Turmeric powder – A pinch
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned for marination.
- Add the paneer cubes and vegetables in this marination mixture.
- Make sure paneer and vegetables are coated well.
- Add them to the skewer alternatively.
- Heat oil in a pan and cook the skewers on it.
- Make sure you keep it on low flame and turn the skewers around to avoid overcooking.
- They cook pretty fast. Serve them hot with coriander or mint chutney.
If you like it spicier, increase the chili powder and garam masala quantity.
Read here – My A to Z challenge posts 2017
Find out more – Nutrition tips and nutritional recipes
Read my theme reveal post here.
I am sharing 26 healthy recipes under 30 minutes full this month.
See the recipes till now –
A for Apple coconut squares
B for a Bracing burger
C for Carrot walnut muffins
D for Dhokla with a twist
E for Eggless Pancake
F for Fruit chocolate pops