Do you know Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables out there?
Kale can be used in many different ways in soups, salads, and even as a main course ingredient. It is not very easily available in India. I order online from a grocery store and I am sure if you explore around, you can easily find it.
Kale is rich in Vitamin C, K, antioxidants, fiber and magnesium and low in calories. This powerhouse of nutrition has just 35 calories per cup.
You can use kale to make a salad with other vegetables. Kale chips are a very common dish which can be made by marinating them with simple ingredients like olive oil and salt. To get maximum benefits, you can just bake them. I also make kale parathas which are not only healthy but very easy to make. It is made in the same way as a methi or spinach paratha. It’s important to cook it, boil it or sauté it before using. Avoid eating it raw as it’s not very easy to digest.
Ways to eat kale –
- Include in the main dish like kale with lentils.
- Add in soups and salads.
- Add it to burgers or sandwiches
- In juices or smoothies
If you are not getting fresh kale, it is also available in powdered form in some stores. Simple add it to your gravies or sprinkle in soups or salads.
Kale grilled cheese sandwich is a very easy recipe which can be made using different ingredients along with kale.
See some other sandwich recipes here.
I am using mushrooms along with kale to make this healthy sandwich. I also make kale chips sometimes which is a healthy snack in a jiffy. Kale grilled cheese sandwich is a healthier version of a normal sandwich which you can also make with any other greens too.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 slices of wholewheat bread
- 1 cup chopped kale (nicely washed and stems removed)
- I small onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cheese slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil for cooking
- Wash and chop kale. Remove the stems.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add onions and cook till its light brown in color.
- Add mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms begin to cook and become tender.
- Now add kale and cook until tender - about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and any other condiments you want to add and keep aside.
- Switch on the sandwich griller or maker. Take two slices of bread. Add a cheese slice and spread the mushroom and kale mixture on the top. Top it up with another slice of bread.
- Cook/grill it in the sandwich maker bread is lightly toasted from both the sides. You can use some butter to cook it.
- Serve hot with ketchup or your choice of accompaniments.
You can use any other vegetable in place of mushrooms such as corns or potatoes.
Another option is to use it with boiled chickpeas.
If you want to reduce calories, you can skip the cheese slice.
Read here – My A to Z challenge posts 2017
Find out more – Nutrition tips and nutritional recipes
Read my theme reveal post here.
I am sharing 26 healthy recipes under 30 minutes full this month.
See the recipes till now –
A for Apple coconut squares
B for a Bracing burger
C for Carrot walnut muffins
D for Dhokla with a twist
E for Eggless Pancake
F for Fruit chocolate pops
I for Instant paneer tikka
J for Jaggery Dates chutney