Tofu is a good source of plant-based protein. It is a soy-based milk product which is made after curdling soya milk and setting into a block. I call it paneer’s cousin as both have the same qualities, more or less same nutrients and look pretty similar too but the origin is different. Many people prefer it over paneer but some do not like the taste of it. So, today I am sharing how to cook it properly and stir fry tofu recipe – A simple tofu recipe.
How to cook tofu –
Many people are confused about tofu and ways to cook it. It is not at all difficult to cook as raw tofu tastes like nothing, it is completely bland if you taste it. That’s why it takes the flavours of whatever dish you are cooking and it is exactly similar to paneer in this manner.
It is a staple in many Chinese and Thai dishes. There are different types of tofu available in the market and you can choose one according to the dish you are making. First of all, drain the excess water from the packet, wash it nicely and cut cubes. Then you can boil the cubes in saltwater for 5 minutes before using. After that you can grill it, bake it or just add to any gravies and use in stir fry.
Benefits of Tofu –
It is a great source of proteins, calcium, iron and many micronutrients. It is a good protein source for vegetarians and vegans.
Tofu Stir Fry recipe –
Stir fry tofu is my family’s favourite tofu recipe. The best part is that it’s a quick recipe and easy to make too. You just need some basic ingredients for it. Even though you don’t like tofu, I am sure you will like this recipe as it’s yummy and can give a healthy twist to any normal dish.
- Tofu – 150 gm
- Spring onions – 1 cup chopped
- Garlic grated – 4-5 cloves
- Broccoli – few florets
- Carrots – 1 medium chopped
- Any other vegetables you want to add like zucchini or mushrooms
- Salt – according to taste
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- For sauce -
- Soya sauce – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – ½tbsp
- Honey – ½ tbsp
- Red chilli flakes or sauce – according to taste
- First of all, I would recommend you to cook tofu in saltwater as I mentioned before if you are using the packet tofu. Wash it, cut into cubes and cook in boiling salt water for 5 minutes. Then, squeeze out any extra water.
- Now heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, and once it's cooked, add the vegetables and cook them till done. (lightly sauté them to retain the crunchiness)
- Now add tofu and let it for some time. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix it. Keep stirring in between.
- You can prepare the sauce by the time tofu is cooking. For that, take a bowl and mix all the sauce ingredients nicely.
- Now add this sauce to the tofu and vegetable pan. Mix it nicely and cook for another 2 minutes. Lastly, add 1 tsp of roasted sesame seeds on top.
- Serve it hot with your choice of rice or noodles or enjoy it as it is.
You can use normal onions instead of spring onions.
If you don’t have honey, you can add sugar too.
Avoid using olive oil as it gets burned and might give a bad taste to the dish. I prefer using sesame oil in stir fry dishes.
You can cook the same dish with paneer if you don’t have tofu.
I hope you like the recipe. Do try and let me know how you like it.
I’m taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s My Friend Alexa and my theme this year is – Healthy recipe. You can see my previous recipe of Mushrooms here and Quesadillas here. Also, the third recipe which was Kurkuri bhindi in Airfryer.
See the recipe video here –
View this post on Instagram
🥘 STIR FRY TOFU RECIPE 🥘 . Today I bring to you a very easy to make but very yummy and healthy recipe. . ✔️Tofu is also called bean curd and it's a soy-based food that’s made from curdling soy milk and forming it into a solid block. . ✔️It’s a good source of protein that can be used in different ways. . ✔️It’s can be a great addition to vegetarian and vegan diets to get good quality proteins. . Many people have different opinions about tofu but it's important to know the right way to cook it. I normally wash it in warm water and then again boil the cubes in salt water before using them in a recipe. IMPORTANT TIP – I used carrot and spring onion but you can use any other vegetables like zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms etc in it. The sauces make a huge difference in this recipe so sharing here again – vinegar+ soya sauce+honey+chilli sauce. Hope you try and like it! . . . . #lockdowncooking #lockdownindia #jantacurfew #cookingvideo #recipeoftheday #recipevideo #tofurecipes #dieticianmom #eathealthy #foodvideo #momwhocooks #bangaloremommyblogger #bangaloreinfluencers #kreativemommy