I still remember my grandparents and the time spent with them when I was small. They taught me few things which were great life lessons. One of my fondest memory is of listening stories from my grand mom and reading newspaper loudly as my grandfather had weak eye sight.
I strongly feel grandparents play an important role in a child’s life. Grandparents are the guiding lights of a family.
I lost both my parents a few years back and it is a void which will always be there. More than myself, I wanted them to be here for my kids.
I wish you were here, not for me but for your grandchildren,
I wish they could play with you and get to know you more.
I wish you could teach them things which I can’t.
I just wish that time with you would have been longer.
I never thought you will be gone so soon.
Why grandparent’s role is important in a child’s life?
- Support- Grandparents support their grandchildren even when parents do not agree to something. Children know that their grandparents will always stand beside them.
- Teachings– They can teach those things which parents can’t teach. The lessons, the learnings and the mentorship of a grandparent are completely different from anybody else.
- Family traditions– A grandparent can teach children a lot of things about family traditions and customs. Not only traditions but a grand mom can teach you skills like knitting, embroidery or even some kitchen tips and tricks.
- Fun Factor– Grandfather’s story times, games, humour in family stories and grandmothers yummy food. What else one needs? Grandparents are a lot of fun and can teach kids some things from their time like games which kids have never heard of and they no longer play.
- Family support– They are always there when you or your parents need them. There is nothing like love and care of grandparents. In fact, in many families, where both parents are working, kids are raised by the grandparents and they are a great support.
I believe grandparents are a great influence in a child’s life. Blessed are those who have their grandparents around them. This Grandparent’s day, we are going to remember all the happy memories with them with a smile.
Sometimes due to the generation gap, there are disagreements between parents and grandparents but their role as mentors, guide, supporters, and life savers cannot be denied.
Do you have any stories about your grandparents to share with us? Let me know in comments if you agree or disagree with me on all these points.
I look forward to hear from you how would you celebrate Grandparents Day. Do share a selfie with your grandparents on Sept. 10, 2017, on Twitter or Facebook with #LoveJatao & tag @blogadda to win a goodie from Parachute Advansed.