Whether you are a working mom or SAHM mom or WFH mom, I am sure we all are always faced with different questions from different people. Our society is not so understanding and they always ask insensitive questions or pass comments.
- WORKING MOM- There is always a feeling of guilt for working moms because of divided attention between home and work. And to make the matters worse, our very polite neighbours and people around us ask these questions-
- Who looks after your kids when you are not around?
- Who takes care of their studies and homework when you reach so late from the office?
- Are they with maid the whole day?
- Don’t you think your kids need you and your time more than your money?
- How do you manage to give them food in school when you are always running?
- WFH mom (Work from home mom) – As a WFH mom myself, I feel it is the most difficult to work from home as it requires a great deal of management. What other people don’t realize is that those of us who choose to work from home (also caring for our home and children full-time) is that there are many sacrifices along the way. As I am an entrepreneur, I have been faced with many questions and comments that made me feel, “One is completely useless if they are not going out to work”. Common questions faced-
- Are you not working?
- I know you run your own business but you are not working, right?
- How do you manage kids and working from home?
- Do you earn enough by working from home?
- Why don’t you go out and work?
- SAHM mom (Stay at home mom) – Stay at home moms juggle between home, kids and household works. These moms choose not to work as they want to be with their kids or don’t have anybody to look after their kids or it can be any other reason too. The questions faced by them-
- Are you a stay at home mom? Why don’t you work?
- What do you do whole day?
- Don’t you feel like going out and doing something?
- Do you like sitting at home?
- What is it like enjoying at home and doing nothing?
People are very judgmental. I can’t speak for men, but for women, it seems like no matter what we do, we are told that we are failures for not doing more or the opposite of what we are doing. Many women who go out and work are told that they should be at home raising children, despite the fact that they may need to work to support the children or enjoy contributing to their career. Many women who do not work are told that they should go out and earn money without knowing the reality.
So, it doesn’t matter whether you are a working mom, WFH mom or SAHM mom, people will still judge you. So, stay happy and stop worrying. And it’s important that as moms at least we should support each other 🙂
July 20, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Interesting Deepa. I have been in each one of those stages and completely agree that questions just wont stop coming. No matter what you do. But I have learnt from my experience that I should not be judgemental about anyone. Who knows what their story is.
July 20, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Thanks for reading Deepali..U r right..people will judge you no matter what!
July 20, 2016 at 5:50 pm
I think people talk no matter what the situation in life is. If you’re at a stable job, they bother why you are not trying for better, bigger pay. If you’re single, they ask about wedding bells. If you’re married, they ask about little shoes. If you’re having just the one kid, they’ll pester you to know when the next is on the way. 😛 Society has this way to judge, and there’s really no measuring stick that’ll match to their expectation, because they themselves don’t know what that is. 🙂 I know, from a friend’s point of view, that each of these questions you’ve highlighted is true. We grow up, but society doesn’t seem to grow with us.
July 20, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Agree Vinay..Our society is judgemental towards everyone and everything but we should learn to deal with them. Over the years I have learned that, no matter how perfect you are, there are just some people you can’t please. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts..appreciate 🙂
September 26, 2016 at 8:56 pm
Asking these questions should be stopped
September 26, 2016 at 10:20 pm
Thanks for reading Anindya 🙂
November 22, 2019 at 11:11 am
Their whole maternity section is adorable and affordable and I’ve been searching the site for more things to buy which I don’t normally do. Definitely advise!
As I mentioned at the beginning, my shirts and tanks are all still fitting pretty well, but I’m sure that will change as the weeks go on. I’ll be back to update you guys on any changes I need to make as we progress!