I will be sharing 26 healthy and yummy recipes with you all this month. The first recipe which I chose is a dessert and let’s mark the starting of this month-long challenge with a sweet dish. Apple and coconut are two main ingredients of this recipe. It is also a great way to include fruits in your meal. What can be better than a dessert which is healthy too?
Apples are a good source of fiber and help in digestion. It also stimulates the metabolism and keeps your gut healthy. Make sure you buy firm and ripe apples which are free from any wrinkles. Apple can be made into applesauce, apple jam, or can be used in baked goods. My family loves apple pie and is our all-time favourite.
Coconut, on the other hand, is a fruit which can be consumed in many different ways. Coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut water and fresh or dry form of coconut is widely consumed by people. It is a miracle fruit with many different benefits. It has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties make it ideal for many problems. Good for digestion, good for hair and skin, helps in healing and provides immunity.
Coconut water benefits are known to everyone. It is a perfect drink to stay hydrated and well nourished.
So, when these two healthy fruits come together, we get a nutritious dessert – Apple coconut dessert. These are gluten-free, vegan and a quick and easy to make. It is free of any dairy product and has just a few ingredients which make it a very easy and quick recipe.
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Apples – 11/2 cup
- Sugar or jaggery – ½ cup (you can increase it depending on how sweet you want)
- Almonds sliced – ½ cup
- Walnuts – few
- Pistachios (optional) – to decorate.
- Saffron (optional) – to give it a yellow color
- Peel and grate apples. Keep them aside. You can sprinkle little lemon to stop them from turning brown.
- Grate fresh coconut and keep aside.
- Now take a pan and add sugar or jaggery and coconut. Cook for some time till coconut gets light brown color.
- Add grated or chopped apples and cook till the mixture gets a little hard consistency and all the water dries up.
- Add almonds or any other dry fruit which you or your kids like. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Take out the mixture on a greased tray and let it cool.
- Once it’s cool and set, cut the squares out of the mixture.
- Decorate it with pistachios and walnuts.
2.To make it sugar-free, you can add the sugar substitutes too.
3.Add any dry fruit according to your taste.
4. Depending on what kind of apples you are using, it might take little more time while cooking. Juicy apples have more water content and leave water while cooking.
5. Make sure you cook it nicely till the mixture dries up completely otherwise it will be little gooey.
*The ingredient quantity in the picture is double the quantity mentioned here. If you want to make 10-12 pieces, above mentioned quantity is fine.
Read here – My A to Z challenge posts 2017
Find out more – Nutrition tips and nutritional recipes
Read my theme reveal post here.