Writing is therapeutic and for that one particular reason, I started writing a few years back. It was more like an outlet of thoughts. I always wanted to start my own blog with my domain name but was clueless about the whole process. The thought of setting up a website with my domain name was like a dream.
I finally decided to take the plunge after a lot of deliberation. I was eager and excited about starting my own blog but had no clue how and where to go for guidance.
Today, I am proud of my self-made and self-designed website with my domain name. I am sharing with you all few lessons from my blogging journey. It is for those moms who are confused about the whole process of setting up their own blog.
Many moms ask me this question- How did you start your own mommy blog?
And here are the steps that I followed-
- Ask – Think of a niche and your area of interest.
Ask yourself these questions–
Do you want to write only about parenting?
What do you like writing about?
Do you enjoy writing fiction, stories or poems?
Do you enjoy sharing your thoughts with others as a mom?
Are you comfortable in sharing your parenting stories with others?
2. Research – Exploring and proper researching always helps. I did as much research as I could and learnt a lot by just exploring and reading. Make sure you are clear about the nitty gritty’s before you take the plunge.
Read – My 5 reasons to start a mommy blog.
3. Decide– Many moms ask me- How to start? Where to start? What are the free and paid options?
So here it is –
WordPress.com is free account and WordPress.org is a paid account.
If you are confused about which platform to choose or not sure if you want to start with a paid one for now, start with either Blogger.com or a free WordPress account. Good news is that you can export all your posts from Blogger or free WordPress account easily when you decide to move to your own domain.
4. Select your hosting– Once you decide to go for your own domain name, next step is selecting a platform to host your website. There are many hosting sites like Go daddy, Hostgator, Blue host etc. I used Go Daddy for my website and the whole process was very smooth.
5. Domain name– Think of a domain name for your blog. I tried many names but most of them were not available. Think of a name relevant to your site and your genre. It is going to represent you and your blog everywhere.
6. Choose a plan– Go daddy has different plans to choose from and I took Managed WordPress option with a basic plan for my blog and have no complaints. There are a lot of useful plugins already installed for you in your website for the starting and it makes the whole process smooth and easy for you.
7. Designing– Being a non-technical person, if I can do it anyone can do it. I designed my own website from scratch and learnt a lot. Although it is always better to take a professionals help for designing, I wanted to do it myself as wanted to learn the whole process.
8. Start writing– Once you are ready with everything, just start writing from your heart and connect with other mom bloggers. Blogging is not only about just writing. You have to make sure your writing is reaching the right audiences. Do share it on different social media channels and promote it as much as you can. Initially, you can take help from your family and friends to spread the word.
9. Networking and connecting– Initial months were hard but talking with other bloggers helped. It is very important to connect with other bloggers and network. I learnt this slowly and @Blogchatter– a community for bloggers helped me to connect with other wonderful bloggers too. Blogger friends can help you with ideas, applaud your success, console your failures and support you in this journey.
10. Be consistent – Once you have everything in place, just be regular in your writing. I try to write and publish at least 3 times a week but it differs with different bloggers. Some write every day and some just write 2 times a week. Whatever you choose, just be consistent as it helps to form a good reader’s base.
A fast recap of all the steps –
So are you ready to do this? Are you excited to enter the world of blogging?
Do ask me any questions you have in the comments below and I will be happy to help you with whatever I can. You can also mail the questions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
February 11, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Tried and tested and hence so very reliable tips Deepa. Thanks for sharing!
February 12, 2018 at 8:45 am
My blog started out as a way to express myself too. You’ve made your blogging journey sound so simple, yet I know how much hardwork goes into creating a unqiue name and place for yourself. Kudos to you and thanks for sharing these tips, Deepa.
February 12, 2018 at 8:55 am
I agree, Varsh. Its easier said than done. Thanks for reading 🙂
February 12, 2018 at 10:37 am
Research is important.. I didn’t do much research before starting my blog & just did it as there was an urge to share my parenting experiences. During the past two years I connected with various bloggers and communities and learnt a lot note about blogging. Thus recently I changed my domain name and now I am ready to make the most out of it. Even I recently I re published my earlier blog post on why one should blog after a bit of editing. Do check it out too.
February 12, 2018 at 11:15 pm
These are simple, doable and practical tips for new bloggers. Agree that it is important to look for a niche that you know about and enjoy.
February 13, 2018 at 1:21 am
these are great tips Deepa, and so inspiring too…indeed starting a blogging journey and crossing all the initial mile stones requires a pre-planning and guidance. you had summerised all steps so wonderfully.
February 14, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Informative post… All your pointers are great help for new blogger like me..
February 15, 2018 at 6:44 pm
By far the most useful post I read… I started blogging just 2months back and this is something that would help me out immensely. Shared it on Twitter too so it can help out other mommys
February 15, 2018 at 10:03 pm
Thank you ..Glad you liked it.
February 16, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Thats well written Deepa! I am sure many bloggers just starting out will find this extremely helpful.
February 17, 2018 at 9:39 am
Such a great and simple explanation of how to start a blog. Now I wish I read something like this 3 years back but last year I moved to WordPress and redid my website and I couldn’t be happier
February 18, 2018 at 11:53 pm
They are some really great and simplified tips for the new bloggers out there . It will be useful for many people out there
February 19, 2018 at 12:34 pm
These are very simple and practical tips you’re mentioned. I wish there was someone like you 6 years ago when I started blogging.
February 19, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Blogging is not that easy, especially for mom juggling between baby, family, chores, work and blog. You have presented easy to follow tips. Thanks
February 19, 2018 at 2:24 pm
Quite a guiding write up for budding bloggers. Will share with the ones who need this.
February 19, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Thanks for sharing these brilliant tips Deepa. A very inspiring post , all the pointers are very crucial for new bloggers
February 19, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Amazing tips. Pretty much what I wanted to read when i started my blog 🙂
February 19, 2018 at 10:16 pm
That’s a wonderful list for someone who is just venturing into the blogging world.
February 19, 2018 at 11:41 pm
Very well drafted post that’s going to be helpful for all budding bloggers. I too find Go Daddy as a great hosting provider.
February 20, 2018 at 10:46 am
Awesome tips – so helpful and I agree research helps a lot!
February 20, 2018 at 11:45 am
That’s very useful invite to start as mom Bloggers. Indeed niche and networking very Important.
February 21, 2018 at 9:18 am
Wow! This is one exhaustive reference list for new bloggers. I still feel that consistency while churning out content is the most important thing.
February 23, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Nice post… I started my blog in blogger and then I have my own domain but hosted in blogger…How can I go to self-hosting or wordpress and how is the expense?
February 23, 2018 at 10:54 pm
Hi Amrita..you can go to GoDaddy website and buy your hosting. They have many different options. Thanks for stopping by.
April 25, 2020 at 3:52 pm
You have shared everything in so deatiled.People who really wnat to do blogging,it willbe a great help for them.