Cyber safety is very important when your kids use the internet frequently. It’s crucial to teach kids about what’s Ok and what not ok on the internet. I was not sure how to keep my elder one safe when she started using it for her school projects. I knew it was not completely safe and I had to make it safe for her to use.
The Internet is very useful and helpful but also something which needs little caution when it comes to kids. It’s difficult to keep track of what they are doing all the time. But if left unattended, it can cause more harm than good.
Cyber safety is something which can help our kids to stay secure and safe while using the internet. I am sharing few tips from my own experience as a mom –
- Talk to your child – First of all, it’s important to talk to your child and explain the good and the bad of the internet. Make them aware of all the negativities too. For younger kids, make it fun and teach them in a manner which won’t make them sacred. You can tell them stories of how it can be dangerous and also teach them through games.
- Privacy settings – It is important to protect all your devices and for this, you can buy a good protection plan. If you are aware of all the websites your child uses, look for the privacy settings. Don’t forget your mobile phones when it comes to buying online protection. Kids these days are more addicted to the mobile phones than anything else. Teach them the importance of passwords as these can be used to steal all the information.
- Be with them while they are on the internet– I know my teenager won’t like this idea of me sitting next to her while she is surfing. But I have taught her about cyber safety when she was small. So, I am a confident mom now when it comes to her. Although with my tween, I still have to look into the things she does online. If you have a young child at home, this is a good opportunity to spend time with them and also keep a watch when they are online.
- Teach them about bad links – It’s important that they know there are many links which they are not supposed to click as they can be dangerous. Teach them not to click on any download links and always check with the parents if the links look little fishy.
- Set a limited time – Do not let your kids spend all the time on the internet. Limited time with a close watch is always important. Make sure they use desktops instead of a laptop or a mobile phone if possible. Keep the desktops in an area where it’s easily visible to all the family members.
- Make use of apps – There are many apps available these days to keep kids safe online. These are helpful to keep a parental control on your devices. Find out these apps and install which one works best for you. There are windows parental control by Microsoft which you can use for laptops and desktops.
- Online games – These days many kids are addicted to online games. And in some games, kids become friends with other players. It’s important to teach them not to trust anybody and also not to share their personal information or passwords if asked.
Predators and cybercriminals are everywhere. We have to make sure that our kids are completely safe when they are online. Keep a close watch and stay alert. Encourage your kids to check with you before taking any decision.
How do you keep your kids safe online? Share tips with other moms. You can even link up an old post if you have written on the similar topic.
Write on the prompt regularly and we will be choosing 2 super moms each month who will be getting supermom crown and Rs 500 gift vouchers each month.
Follow all these rules to win.
SUPERMOM CONTEST RULES-
How to link up-
IMPORTANT- COMMENT ON THIS POST AND MY CO-HOSTS POST AND ANY TWO OF THE POSTS IN THE LINK UP.WE DEEPLY BELIEVE COMMUNITY SPIRIT. EAGERLY LOOKING FORWARD TO VISITING YOUR BLOGS.FOLLOW ON TWITTER @DEEPAGANDHI1 AND @MISRA_AMRITA
Prompts will be announced every Sunday evening and linky Will be open until Sunday 23.55 hrs.Write a post and link up with DEEPA OR AMRITA
PRO TIP – NETWORKING AND COMMENTING ARE GOOD FOR YOUR BLOG’S HEALTH AND RANKS.
USE #MONDAYMOMMYMOMENTS OR #MMM IN YOUR POST AND ALSO SHARE SOCIAL MEDIA USING THE SAME HASHTAG.
EVERY WEEK WE WILL HAVE ONE FEATURED BLOGGER WHO IS THE BEST REFLECTION OF THIS COMMUNITY SPIRIT. NOW YOU CAN ALSO LINK UP ANY ONE POST FROM LAST WEEK TOO OTHER THAN THE PROMPT POST.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Start linking up!