Cyber safety is very important when your kids use the internet frequently. It’s crucial to teach kids about what’s Ok and what not ok on the internet. I was not sure how to keep my elder one safe when she started using it for her school projects. I knew it was not completely safe and I had to make it safe for her to use.
The Internet is very useful and helpful but also something which needs little caution when it comes to kids. It’s difficult to keep track of what they are doing all the time. But if left unattended, it can cause more harm than good.
Cyber safety is something which can help our kids to stay secure and safe while using the internet. I am sharing few tips from my own experience as a mom –
- Talk to your child – First of all, it’s important to talk to your child and explain the good and the bad of the internet. Make them aware of all the negativities too. For younger kids, make it fun and teach them in a manner which won’t make them sacred. You can tell them stories of how it can be dangerous and also teach them through games.
- Privacy settings – It is important to protect all your devices and for this, you can buy a good protection plan. If you are aware of all the websites your child uses, look for the privacy settings. Don’t forget your mobile phones when it comes to buying online protection. Kids these days are more addicted to the mobile phones than anything else. Teach them the importance of passwords as these can be used to steal all the information.
- Be with them while they are on the internet– I know my teenager won’t like this idea of me sitting next to her while she is surfing. But I have taught her about cyber safety when she was small. So, I am a confident mom now when it comes to her. Although with my tween, I still have to look into the things she does online. If you have a young child at home, this is a good opportunity to spend time with them and also keep a watch when they are online.
- Teach them about bad links – It’s important that they know there are many links which they are not supposed to click as they can be dangerous. Teach them not to click on any download links and always check with the parents if the links look little fishy.
- Set a limited time – Do not let your kids spend all the time on the internet. Limited time with a close watch is always important. Make sure they use desktops instead of a laptop or a mobile phone if possible. Keep the desktops in an area where it’s easily visible to all the family members.
- Make use of apps – There are many apps available these days to keep kids safe online. These are helpful to keep a parental control on your devices. Find out these apps and install which one works best for you. There are windows parental control by Microsoft which you can use for laptops and desktops.
- Online games – These days many kids are addicted to online games. And in some games, kids become friends with other players. It’s important to teach them not to trust anybody and also not to share their personal information or passwords if asked.
Predators and cybercriminals are everywhere. We have to make sure that our kids are completely safe when they are online. Keep a close watch and stay alert. Encourage your kids to check with you before taking any decision.
How do you keep your kids safe online? Share tips with other moms. You can even link up an old post if you have written on the similar topic.
Write on the prompt regularly and we will be choosing 2 super moms each month who will be getting supermom crown and Rs 500 gift vouchers each month.
Follow all these rules to win.
SUPERMOM CONTEST RULES-
How to link up-
IMPORTANT- COMMENT ON THIS POST AND MY CO-HOSTS POST AND ANY TWO OF THE POSTS IN THE LINK UP.WE DEEPLY BELIEVE COMMUNITY SPIRIT. EAGERLY LOOKING FORWARD TO VISITING YOUR BLOGS.FOLLOW ON TWITTER @DEEPAGANDHI1 AND @MISRA_AMRITA
Prompts will be announced every Sunday evening and linky Will be open until Sunday 23.55 hrs.Write a post and link up with DEEPA OR AMRITA
PRO TIP – NETWORKING AND COMMENTING ARE GOOD FOR YOUR BLOG’S HEALTH AND RANKS.
USE #MONDAYMOMMYMOMENTS OR #MMM IN YOUR POST AND ALSO SHARE SOCIAL MEDIA USING THE SAME HASHTAG.
EVERY WEEK WE WILL HAVE ONE FEATURED BLOGGER WHO IS THE BEST REFLECTION OF THIS COMMUNITY SPIRIT. NOW YOU CAN ALSO LINK UP ANY ONE POST FROM LAST WEEK TOO OTHER THAN THE PROMPT POST.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Start linking up!
December 4, 2017 at 2:46 pm
Its better be safe than cry foul later! Thank you Deepa for the pointers to help increase the protective shield around kids while they are using internet.
December 4, 2017 at 7:50 pm
These are really very useful tips, and I am completely agree with you, using internet properly required a supervision and we have to taught our kids about it and make them understand that how to use it safely? otherwise, it can cause more harm than benefit.
December 4, 2017 at 7:55 pm
Awesome tips. As of now I do not allow my kids to be online too much. But when they are older I am see I would need to do this.
December 5, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Wow i am soon approaching this stage and would love to adapt these measures before bringing my little one to this online world!!!
December 5, 2017 at 11:14 pm
December 6, 2017 at 9:27 am
Your points and suggestions are correct and practical. I feel that most important is “Talk to your child”!
December 6, 2017 at 10:28 am
December 6, 2017 at 10:12 am
My daughter loves surfing the net for DIY activities and I have to be very vigilant as many times inappropriate content just pops up on the screen while she is watching You tube videos. Thanks for these tips . I will now be more careful.
December 6, 2017 at 10:29 am
December 6, 2017 at 11:27 am
The speed at which we are all going digital, there is very little we can do to keep our kids away. You have some great tips there to help a lot of parents tackle the new issue of online safety for kids.
December 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm
December 6, 2017 at 11:28 am
This will be an area I will research on as my son grows up, bookmarking your articles a resource.
December 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm
December 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm
This is an important topic in today’s age. I hate bombarding children with too much information and currently as both my children are below the tween age, they hardly have internet time. But I will have to soon introduce them to these tips, thanks for sharing.
December 6, 2017 at 12:17 pm
December 6, 2017 at 2:13 pm
an absolute essential article in today’s time. Thanks for sharing this with us.
December 6, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Using internet in the right way is very importanr and your post has some very important pointers.
Thanks for sharing!!
December 6, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Very helpful and simple tips. I think what’s most important is to talk to children and be available to listen to them. That’s the simplest way to gauge what’s on their mind and what all they are being exposed to.
December 6, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Spending time with kids while they are online is not an easy task and you are dealing so well. Thanks for sharing your experience get to learn a lot
December 6, 2017 at 11:03 pm
Excellent tips to keep children safe .overall parents need to keep an eye.Perfectly written.
December 6, 2017 at 11:31 pm
A very useful and practical post. All the steps are doable and the final goal can be achieved with due diligence
December 7, 2017 at 6:30 am
No doubt internet is a medium of vast resources and we need to teach our kids the safe way to use it…So really great tipster parents to make it fruitful and safe
December 7, 2017 at 11:05 am
These are some really useful tips to keep kids safe while they surf the internet. Thanks for sharing the tips Deepa.
December 7, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Safety online is a key issue and as parents we must address it sooner than later. Absoluteky setting a time limit and not allowing unlimited access to internet is key. Having child settings on phone and privacy settings to avoid kids from downloading or clicking things they should not be clicking
December 7, 2017 at 1:20 pm
Internet is the most unsafe medium. These are some amazing tips to keep a watch on what kids are surfing and to keep them safe from the strangers
December 7, 2017 at 2:43 pm
Will be so helpful in the future. Thank you for sharing these tips.
December 7, 2017 at 11:15 pm
This is a must read post. Children now a days hv so much access to the net its difficult at times to keep track. This post wil help lot of moms.
December 8, 2017 at 3:42 am
Such a important topic. Online safety is so important for children and this post is great for parents!
December 8, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Thoughts shared in this blog are quite useful and every kid needs to have an update from their regarding the same from their parents.
December 8, 2017 at 5:56 pm
Kids are learning to use the gadgets with internet connection at a very young age nowadays and it is a responsibility of parents to be vigilant of what kids are watching. These are some really useful points to be paid attention too.
December 8, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Online gaming is dangerous and the best way is to talk to your child openly. Clarity comes from the home forst.
December 10, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Digital safety is extremely important . Your points are very useful and helpful in that regard.
December 11, 2017 at 10:09 am
December 11, 2017 at 7:50 am
So agree with you here. These points are so important for cyber safety of our kids. I liked the point “setting limit” the most. If we let them use internet in a controlled way, chances of any problem automatically get low.
December 11, 2017 at 10:10 am
February 5, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Most of all, parents need to learn about the dangers of online presence themselves. They need to KNOW what to talk about with their kids. Although I do know myself how hard it is to keep up with all the new technologies… 🙁
February 18, 2018 at 2:37 am
We definitely need to limit the time our kids spend on the internet! And have some more control over which pages and apps they use!