Many new moms face difficulties initially after having a baby. Although a few moms do feel better after some days but many suffer from postpartum depression for a long time. The sad reality is that most of the times, people leave it unattended saying things will be fine in a few days or it’s just a phase. It’s important to understand that moms’ mental health matters and they need proper care and guidance too. It’s not only during post-partum phase but otherwise too.
As a mom, I know that parenting can be really overwhelming at times. Besides day to day things, you take on your kids’ problems and issues as well and that can be stressful. I feel it’s important to be honest about how you feel and also it’s ok to ask for help.
Mental Health Matters-
We asked 2 moms about their experiences and this is what they have to share –
Sreeja is a mom of twins who left her job after having kids. According to her she had a difficult time initially but now when kids are older, she finally gets some free time. She was diagnosed with postpartum depression initially but her family helped her a lot. Her husband and mother in law helps her around and that’s why she gets some free time in between.
I joined dance classes and also go to my favourite beach to relax. Dance classes help me to recharge and rejuvenate as I meet my friends there. The beach is a place for me to relax and it’s not that your problems will just vanish but you learn to manage them better. You have to find ways to stay a calm and relaxed mom.
Sneha is a mom of a toddler realized that she had no time to do things she loved to do. Initially she had to manage everything on her own as she was way from the family and her husband was in a travelling job. But she decided to do something to be a better mom to her son.
I used to feel tired all the time and would also feel frustrated at the end of the day. That’s when my mom suggested me to take up a hobby or do something to distract myself. I was always passionate about makeup. I started learning online make up classes and later on started my own business from home. Starting my own business helped me to be a confident mom and gave me a sense of fulfilment. Plus I met a lot of new mom friends through it.
Thanks to these two moms who shared their story with us.
As they say, a happy mom means happy kids and a happy family, make sure to do things that make you happy. I know it’s easier said than done but its ok to ask for help, it’s ok to take a break every now and then and it’s also ok to not do everything others expect you to do.
Motherhood is demanding and can be overbearing at times. Acknowledging the fact that your mental health matters is important.
Also read, Things I wish I knew about motherhood.
Ways to be a happy and healthy mom –
- First of all, remember that its ok to talk about what and how you are feeling. As moms, we feel guilty all the time. If we do something, we feel guilty, if we don’t do anything then also we feel guilty. Make sure you share whatever you are feeling with your spouse or any one you are ok talking to.
- Meet your community. Make friends with other moms, talk to a trusted person. It’s important to be around people who can understand what you are going through.
- Take up a hobby, follow your passion or do something which makes you happy. Taking out time for yourself is important.
- Take a professionals help if you feel you need one. Reach out to a good therapist or doctor before it’s too late.
- Remember that it’s ok to say no and set your boundaries. This is for both, your work place and your home.
Love yourself as much as you love your kids. This is the best way to prioritize your mental health. Parenting is hard and let’s be honest about it and lets speak up. A mom’s mental health matters and its high time you acknowledge that.
I am writing about mental health talks for Cause a chatter,an initiative by Blogchatter. This is my second post in this category. Read my first post here.