Do you know our immune system weakens with age? Do you know a good and healthy immune system can help you stay away from many deadly diseases? Are you taking any steps to boost your immunity as you age?
The immune system helps to keep us healthy by fighting against many deadly diseases, viruses, bacteria, infections etc. As we age, the immune system also weakens and it is not as strong as it used to be. Especially if you are in your forties, the immune system is not as strong as it was in your 20’s or even 30’s. Of course, exercise and staying physically active is a great way to boost immunity but you can’t ignore the importance of good nutrition. A healthy and nutritious diet is the best way to keep your immune system healthy and strong.
Eating a balanced and healthy diet is important. Especially, as you age, the immune system is much more sensitive which can lead to serious health problems. That’s why you need a proper mix of all essential nutrients to keep diseases at bay.
Why do you need so many nutrients to boost your immunity?
- The first reason is that not all nutrients play the same role. Some help by acting as a barrier to keep your digestive system healthy and others in a different way.
- Some nutrients help in the production of immune cells.
- There are a few nutrients that prevent body cells from damage and help in providing antioxidants to keep your system healthy.
What are the nutrients which can boost your immunity as you age?
I am sharing a list of nutrients (vitamins and minerals) which are important and can help you to boost your immunity as you age.
- Zinc – I am starting with zinc as it is one of the most important minerals when it comes to boosting immunity. It helps in the production of immune cells but Zinc deficiency is very common in the elderly. Foods rich in zinc – Vegetables like broccoli, kale, garlic, mushrooms etc. Also, it’s found in seafood, nuts and seeds, whole grains, milk and yoghurt.
- Vitamin C – It is an antioxidant that fights free radicals and promotes healthy ageing. It is the biggest immunity booster. The foods rich in Vitamin C are – Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, strawberries and vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli and capsicum.
- Vitamin E – It is another strong antioxidant which can help to keep your immune system healthy. Include foods like nuts and seeds.
- Vitamin D – Many people are deficient in Vitamin D these days and sometimes supplementation is the only method to get it. Vitamin D can help to keep your immune system in control especially if you have a cold or flu. Foods rich in Vitamin D are fish, eggs, mushrooms, cheese, milk and milk products etc.
- Other than these, protein-rich foods are good for immunity. Also, few other vitamins and minerals which boosts immunity are copper, vitamin B, selenium, iron and folic acid.
Of course, stress, lack of sleep and any chronic illness can weaken your immune system but ageing is one of the main factors too. So, along with a healthy diet, sometimes you need nutritional supplements especially as you age. These are helpful to bridge the nutritional gaps. Check with your doctor and you can go for extra supplements as required.
Ensure good immunity as you age with the help of good and balanced nutrition.
View this post on Instagram
Do you know with age your immune system weakens? To stay safe and healthy, it's very important to build ones immunity. Right now with this new outbreak, there is an immediate need to take precautions and the key should be to focus on building one's immunity as well as overall health. I am sharing few things which I follow to build up my immunity. I have shared nutrition tips to boost immunity as you age in my new blog post. Link in bio. . . . @blogchatter #Ensureimmunity #immunesystem #immunityboost #boostimmunity #nutrition #nutritionvideo #nutritiontips #dieticianmom #eathealthy #healthyeating #kreativemommy #collaboration