In our series of healthy recipes called #NutritionNiche, we are back with another simple and healthy recipe. I am sharing curry leaves chutney recipe which is not only easy to make but nutritious too. Curry leaves have many health benefits and that’s what makes this recipe special. These humble leaves have a distinctive flavour and are a powerhouse of nutrition.
Benefits of Curry leaves –
Curry leaves are a good source of iron and folic acid.
These help to keep your blood sugar levels under control as affects how insulin works in your body. So, it’s good for diabetics.
It lowers cholesterol and also is good for digestion.
It helps prevent premature greying of hair too.
They are rich in antioxidants and have antibacterial properties.
You can use it in different recipes for its flavour and health benefits. Other than recipes, you can use them for hair care by boiling them with coconut oil and applying in your hair.
Let’s get back to the recipe now –
Curry leaves chutney recipe –
- Curry leaves – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Whole Red chillies – 2
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind -1/2 tsp paste
- Salt as needed
- For the seasoning (optional)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¾ tsp
- First of all wash the curry leaves and dry them completely.
- Next, take a pan and heat oil in it and add urad dal, red chillies. Cook for some time.
- Add curry leaves and cook in low flame for 2-3 minutes. Now add tamarind, grated coconut, salt and lightly cook for a few more seconds.
- Now remove the pan from flame and let it cool.
- Once it cools down, grind it to a smooth paste adding little water as required. 6 I like thick consistency but you can adjust according to your liking. Use water accordingly.
- For seasoning, heat oil, add mustard seeds and mix this seasoning in the chutney. Mix well and serve with anything you like. This step is optional as chutney tastes good without the seasoning too. It's as flavourful and yummy without the seasoning.
Add little hing or asafoetida if you like. It increases digestive properties.
There is another way to make it by using chana dal, ginger and red chillies with curry leaves.
Check these chutneys too – Jaggery and dates chutney
May 25, 2020 at 9:59 pm
This recipe calls for a try for sure.