Diwali is a time to celebrate, to enjoy with family and friends and to cherish all these moments. I love parties and celebrations with loved ones and strongly believe that we should celebrate each and every small moment in life. Diwali is the perfect time to invite people and also visit them. I host a Diwali party year for my friends and its great fun to have all of them at our place. As a host or hostess, one should take care of many things including, décor, cleanliness, food, games, and gifts. It’s a good idea to involve kids in the preparations as it helps them to learn about the festival.
I am sharing 5 different ways/ideas to host a perfect Diwali party this year.
- Select a theme– As obvious the main theme will be a festive theme but you can choose a colour theme for everything. The decor, crockery, and clothes can be according to the theme. I have planned a gold and silver theme for this year and asked my friends to include it in their costumes too.
- Décor – I do not like too many artificial decorations. It is always better to go with fresh flowers and natural stuff. Different types of candles can be used to give a perfect festive look. I have got this bandhani print table colour online to go traditional. Flowers, candles, traditional prints for cushion covers, bedsheets, and curtains are few ways to give your home a perfect festive look.
- Games– One of our all-time favourite game is Tambola or Housie which even kids like to play. Other than this many people love to play cards. Some other games which you can plan are – make a rangoli in which you can divide people into teams and they have to make a small rangoli with colours in the given time. Whoever makes it first is the winner. One more interesting one which I am planning to have at my Diwali party is the sweet game in which you can give an equal number of sweets to all the guest and make them sit in a circle. It is like passing the parcel. When the music stops, the person with a parcel gives one of his sweet. In the end, a person with maximum sweets win.
- Food- There are endless food options when it comes to Diwali. You can start preparing sweet and savouries a few days before the festival. Homemade sweets are always better than the one we buy from outside. Plan a starter which can be a mix of chaats, the main course can be a mix of our typical Indian cuisine and it would be incomplete without a dessert. Do keep some juices and mocktails ready too. You can also plan a potluck party and divide the food items among friends. A few days back I wrote about 7 tips to feast without guilt this Diwali.
- Gifts– Start buying Diwali gifts beforehand to avoid any last minute rush. Plan a budget and go according to that for everything from food, décor and other stuff. There are a lot of gift options available in the market. It’s better to avoid sweets as gift items as people normally get a lot of sweets for the festival.
These were few of my ideas for a Diwali bash. How are you planning a Diwli party at home? Do share your Diwali party ideas with us.
October 16, 2017 at 10:21 am
Nice article Deepa. We are planning for a potluck with traditional dishes for Diwali party.
October 16, 2017 at 10:19 pm
Great.We used to have a lot of potlucks when we were in the US. Thanks for reading.
October 16, 2017 at 12:56 pm
love the creative Diwali ideas! and the links to the other blogs too!
October 16, 2017 at 10:20 pm
October 16, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Great ideas, Deepa. My addition to it is do visit more friends and relatives this Diwali.
October 16, 2017 at 10:20 pm
Yes Vasantha..its fun to visit family and friends too. Thanks.
October 16, 2017 at 3:40 pm
The food would be my favourite bit! 😀
October 16, 2017 at 9:11 pm
Wow…Those are some perfect ideas for a Diwali party..Advance Diwali wishes to you and your family 🙂
October 16, 2017 at 10:21 pm
October 16, 2017 at 11:58 pm
These are some great tips and idea! Decor and food really make a lot of difference while organizing a party during the festivities,
October 17, 2017 at 10:37 am
Great ideas Deepa. It’s always fun to have friends around during the festive season. Happy Diwali.
October 17, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Gifts for Diwali are a painstaking activity. For the last two-three years we have started getting home-made chocolates for all. They turn out to be reasonable and are appreciated too.
October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Great post with great ideas for your Diwali party. I hope you have a wonderful time 🙂
October 17, 2017 at 5:25 pm
such creative ideas. this year i cldnt throw a diwali party but am keeping this bookmaked for next yr
October 18, 2017 at 3:37 pm
October 17, 2017 at 10:48 pm
A very innovative post, full of novel ideas. Thanks for sharing
October 18, 2017 at 3:37 pm
October 18, 2017 at 3:22 pm
Love the tips you have shared for the Diwali party . Cards are a must when hosting a party
October 18, 2017 at 3:38 pm
October 18, 2017 at 4:47 pm
I love the idea of a good theme. Will go so perfectly with festive diwali lights. We usually have a potluck party too
October 18, 2017 at 5:21 pm
The personal touch in any event is the most important thing. I totally love the idea of a.home bash
October 18, 2017 at 5:26 pm
That’s such an amazing way to celebrate the festivities! Loved your tips
October 18, 2017 at 5:40 pm
I always feel good food make every occasion more enjoyable so my first focus always stays with festival food. Enjoyed the post Deepa 🙂
October 18, 2017 at 11:25 pm
What wonderful ideas! And gold and silver sounds so elegant. Would love to see more pictures of how you incorporated this theme in your party decor ?
October 19, 2017 at 10:06 am
An absolute party planner ✌️ I bet bandhani print adds the festivity to the home decor due to its bright colours. Happy Diwali to you dear 🙂
October 20, 2017 at 4:27 pm
These are some great ideas to celebrate the festival with friends. I always like having a party or a get together at home, it’s always fun. And I really like the idea of sweet game, will definitely try sometime. Thanks for sharing!
October 21, 2017 at 1:15 am
October 23, 2017 at 6:11 pm
LOve the creative ideas. It’s great to keep these handy for any season!
October 23, 2017 at 9:11 pm
October 24, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Perfect tips for getting the partu started.Having a theme always helps.
October 28, 2017 at 6:41 pm
Great and creative ideas.