Early years are surely the most important in a child’s life. It’s a time when parents can lay a strong foundation related to health and well being. Not only nutritious food but regular physical activity helps to support the normal growth and development of kids to grow right. It also helps to reduce the risk of developing lifestyle-related diseases later in life.
Like most kids these days spend time in front of the TV and playing on gadgets, a little involvement of parents can play an important part. Sometimes they need to think out of the box to help kids make healthy choices around nutrition and physical activity. I like how this mom uses innovative ideas to involve her daughter in fun physical activities.
As a mom, I also feel that playtime and mealtime play a huge role in the right growth and development of a child. I also use innovative ways to make my daughters understand the value of both. It’s not easy to keep them away from gadgets or eat healthy all the time but it’s not impossible.
Of course, healthy eating plays an important role but you cannot deny the role of physical activity and other activities that help in cognitive development.
Do you know only one in three children is physically active these days?
It is important to encourage physical activity in early childhood as it not only forms a good foundation but also it can impact immediate and long-term health outcomes.
These are few ways in which I make playtime and mealtime fun for my kids and hope it helps other mothers too –
- Encourage active play – Active play is the best form of physical activity. It involves unstructured or free play and structured or planned play. You can take them outdoors if weather permits otherwise plan some activities at home to keep them active.
- Find age-appropriate activities – For 2-5-year-old, you can plan many different activities indoor and outdoor. Running, swimming, skipping, riding a bicycle are all good activities for them.
- Be innovative – If a child is not interested in playing outdoors, you can plan some unstructured or fun activities at home. Dancing on the music, playing hide and seek, games involving thinking skills like question and answer sessions, etc.
- Do not force – These days kids are involved in school work and projects so much that they hardly get time for physical activities. Plan a time when they can go out to play for some time but do not overdo it. Let them choose an activity of their interest. As in this way, there are more chances of them following it later too.
- Make mealtime fun – Sometimes you have to experiment in the kitchen to make kids eat healthy food. Mix grated vegetables in different recipes include fruits with their favourite dishes, make sandwiches and parathas in their favourite shapes. Little innovation can help to tackle fussy eaters easily.
The benefits of active play go beyond just physical development. It helps in the development of social, language and intellectual skills too. Also, it helps to improve their eating habits as playtime and mealtime are correlated. Speaking from my own experience, a child who is physically active is also a good eater. Try it to see for yourself!
October 29, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Yes Totally agreed …we have to spend quality time with our kids…well written
October 29, 2019 at 8:21 pm
That is so true Deepa. Kids need to be given mental stimulation in order to help them grow right.
October 29, 2019 at 10:52 pm
So true. A good routine is absolutely required for a healthy lifestyle for kids. Great write up.
October 30, 2019 at 12:28 pm
parents involvement is important in kids play time, if we are ready to keep them engaged in creative activities kids will not yearn for screen time. Encouraging physical activity builds the inner strength for life. great article.
October 31, 2019 at 1:53 pm
i totally agree with your inputs. my kids are also fussy eaters. i strongly believe not to indulge in force eating and finding innovative ways to make feeding time fun.
October 31, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Couldn’t agree more to this, I am not a parent but all of the penned points seems very much in the right direction. Physical activities and right meals, and that too timely, it all helps in preventing the kid from getting lazy and balancing the mental state too.
October 31, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Couldn’t agree more, I am not a parent, but everything penned here seems to be very much in the right direction. Yes, physical activities and right meals are very important for growing kids so as to maintain their physical and mental state.
October 31, 2019 at 10:01 pm
I encourage my kids to do.mire physical activities. Even if they can’t find friends to play, i become their friend who play ,run have fun
October 31, 2019 at 10:12 pm
Amazing and insightful post. A good daily schedule is necessary for a healthy lifestyle for kids. Physical activity empowers the inner strength for life. Great thoughts.
November 1, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Every activity is important for kids to grow right. They should be kept in a healthy and friendly environment. We should engage them in a healthy way.
November 1, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Having an every day routine is necessary for kids so that they get the right nutrition to stay healthy and grow right.