We moved from the US a few years ago and at that time my daughter was 4 years old. She was an active, happy and healthy child but as soon as we moved to a new place, she started getting frequent cold, nasal congestion, and fever. Initially, we couldn’t understand the reasons for it but slowly realised that it was due to seasonal allergies. She had a tough time breathing at night due to the blocked nose and it disturbed her sleep cycle. It was tough for her to get up in the morning for school.
We knew we had to do find some remedy to get her nasal congestion relief. Obviously, the first step was to treat her allergies and the triggers for them. It was very upsetting to see her suffering due to a stuffy nose and nasal congestion.
Seasonal allergies led to –
- Missing of school due to sleep deprivation
- Crankiness due to a headache and runny nose.
- Not able to breathe properly
- Not eating drinking properly
Reasons for nasal congestion –
In her case, it was seasonal allergies but it can be due to common cold, flu or sinus too. Whatever be the reason, the symptoms are the same and can be really difficult for a child.
I tried these home remedies to treat her for nasal congestion-
- Water – Make sure your child drinks 8-10 glasses of water a day. Water can help to relieve a blocked nose by clearing sinus due to thick mucus.
- Use a humidifier at home as it helps to keep the air inside moist. Nasal passages get dry due to congestion and moisture is important.
- Encourage your child to take steam. If it’s difficult for them, try taking warm water and keep it near them and ask them to inhale slowly.
- Another remedy which helped my daughter is placing a wet towel dipped in warm water on her face, especially nasal area. It helps to unblock the nose.
- Sleeping little upright by taking little extra pillows also helps. If you feel your child is not able to sleep properly, try propping up their head with extra pillows. This helps in breathing better.
- Honey and ginger tea is also helpful. Try giving light tea to your child.
- Hot soups help too. Homemade chicken soup with a lot of fresh ginger and garlic helps to relieve the symptoms.
- I used Nasivion Nasal Saline Spray after consulting with my paediatrician. I used it when she was small and still use it whenever she has a stuffy nose. In case, the nasal congestion becomes worse, Nasivion mini (0.01%) can be given to 0 – 1-year-old babies. It is easy to use and comes with a dropper. Know about the dosage here: https://www.nasivion.com/en_IN/home/products/kids-babies-001-nose-drops.html
Dosage for nasal congestion relief –
Nasivion paediatric (0.025%) can be given to kids in the age group 1-6 years. For kids of 1-6 years of age, just instill 1-2 drops of Nasivion (0.025%) solution in each nostril 2-3 times a day or as prescribed by your doctor.
A happy and healthy child means a happy mom. No one likes constant headaches, runny nose, and nasal blockage. Just imagine how your child feels when it happens to them.
All these helped my daughter to get nasal congestion relief. It is allergy season and I hope these remedies help your child to breathe better.
Please consult your doctor before using any product for your child/baby.