I chose to breastfeed both my daughters and I am glad I did it for almost a year for both of them. As my elder one was born little premature, I had to switch between bottle feed and breastfeed. But I never stopped breastfeeding her even though it was hard initially. Actually, the trick is to keep on trying. It surely gets overwhelming in the starting but it’s the most rewarding experience of motherhood. I would like to share some successful breastfeeding tips from my experience as a mom.
Breastfeeding is the best gift you can give your child. Here are some successful breastfeeding tips for new moms –
- Start breastfeeding soon after delivery – As soon as you deliver, the hospital staff and nurses will be helping you to breastfeed your baby within an hour. It’s important to allow the skin to skin touch with mom as it helps in bonding right from the starting. This bonding is crucial as your baby needs that initially.
- Do not worry if the baby is not latching immediately – Your baby may only lick and rub and snuggle but might not latch immediately. Do not panic as this is very common and rarely a baby starts latching and suckling immediately. Give it some time but do not stop trying.
- Frequent feeding is a must – Your doctor and nurses are surely going to encourage you to breastfeed frequently. Initially, you must try breastfeeding every 2-3 hours throughout the day and night. (Minimum 8-9 times in 24hours). To stimulate the milk production, you must breastfeed frequently and regularly. Do not look at the clock when you are breastfeeding as it’s important to look at the baby and stop only when you feel the baby is tired. The nursing time varies. Initially, the babies get tired fast and might fall asleep after a few minutes of the feeding session. When the baby grows up, slowly the frequency decreases but feeding time increases.
- Wake up baby – In the first few weeks, a baby sleeps a lot and you must wake them up to feed them. Look for cues like waking up and stretching, hand and mouth movements or trying to suck onto anything while touched. If they are not waking up or not showing any cues for a feeding, gently wake up the baby. Things which help to wake them up are changing the diaper, placing them close to the mom’s skin, or gently stroking the baby’s hands, legs, arms etc.
- Avoid sore nipples – Try to change positions while nursing. Make sure you are feeding correctly and using the correct position to feed too. There are many different positions in which you can hold your baby. Make sure to ask your lactation expert or doctor about them. Also, things like a nursing pillow and nursing bra help too. Make sure you buy them to make it easier for you.
- Invest in a good breastfeeding pump – As my daughter was born prematurely, I had a hard time as she was not able to feed much. As a result, I got breast engorgement and fever. My doctor advised me to pump to avoid any further problem. It is always better to invest in a good breast pump as it is something which is going to be helpful later if you join back your work or go out at any time.
Benefits of breastfeeding
As a new mom, you are bound to feel tired and overwhelmed by all the new changes. I remember the time when my daughter was not able to feed properly and how I felt. I introduced the bottle feed as suggested by the doctor but never stopped breastfeeding. So, if you feel the baby is not gaining weight or not feeding properly, you can switch between formula milk and breastmilk after your doctors’ consultation. But try not to stop it completely as nothing can be compared to the benefits of breastmilk.
Breastmilk has everything which is good for your baby’s overall development. It boosts immunity and provides them with vital nutrients like DHA and natural vitamin E both of which are essential to help their cognitive development. Not only that they also aid in baby’s sensory development.
Breastmilk contains DHA, natural vitamin E, fats, proteins and vitamins and minerals that your baby needs to grow and stay away from diseases and allergies. DHA, the structural component of the brain, is extremely important as it helps in baby brain development. The natural vitamin E prevents the oxidation of DHA, thus ensuring your baby is smart.
Considering a mother is literally feeding IQ to her baby, it is even more important that you pay attention to what you eat. I am proud that I never gave up and did what I thought was best for my daughter. I know that babies get fed in all different ways and each way gives you a happy, healthy and smart baby. Isn’t that what we all want?
August 23, 2018 at 3:23 pm
Very good tips for new breastfeeding moms. It’s natural but not everyone has hassle free bf journey. I remember latching problem, supply problem during my bf journey
August 23, 2018 at 3:35 pm
I learnt a lot by trial and error during my days and wish I had such a comprehensive help guide… The good thing was that I faced a lot of problems that new moms do but stuck through the initial tough phase due to the many many benefits of breastfeeding
August 23, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Very important and helpful tips for new moms. Especially the frequent feeding, as it also helps in keeping up the milk production.
August 23, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Very informative post Deepa, these tips will certainly help and address the causes of stress in new moms. Breastfeeding is true magical potion for babies.
August 24, 2018 at 10:48 am
Those are great hacks Deepa for a newbie mom. I was guilty of looking at the clock and it seemed that time was passing too slowly. that got me overwhelmed. Its a difficult phase for some but with the right support we can manage to hold on
August 25, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Good tips here, Deepa. As a new mom I too was anxious when my son didn’t latch on quickly. Right posture and comfortable seating is important to moms. Breastfeeding is important and must be encouraged.
August 25, 2018 at 4:32 pm
You have shared amazing tips! My mom also bought a pump when my brother was born as she had to go to college!
August 25, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Breast feeding makes mom n kid both healthy. Moms who don’t give gets lot of chance of breast cancer… Good info in ur articles
August 25, 2018 at 8:32 pm
These are some really great tips for pregnant and nursing mothers. I’m sure this article will help them prepare for an important aspect of motherhood.
August 25, 2018 at 9:34 pm
It’s a must read blog for all new mommies. I will share this to my sister who recently delivered.
August 25, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Hats off for doing such a detailed study on a critical topic like breast feeding and putting it accross in such an amazing way
August 25, 2018 at 10:30 pm
I still miss the years when I breastfed my son. Those 3 while years were like another time period. Nothing was more precious to see him dose off while feeding in my arms.
August 25, 2018 at 11:41 pm
Very helpful and useful tips. I have done the same thing breastfeed and bottle feed together but never leave breastfeed
August 26, 2018 at 8:01 am
Very important post for new mom’s.. Breastfeeding is really very beneficial for mom and baby too.. love the post
August 26, 2018 at 8:30 am
Some of my friends are new mommies and they are always seeking for such advices… they will look this!!
August 26, 2018 at 12:20 pm
This is the perfect article for new mothers. These are perfect tips for breast feeding that new moms should follow.
September 7, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Breastfeeding is indeed the best gift for a kid. An informative and useful post to be aware of the benefits of breastfeeding, specially for new moms. Good work Deepa.
September 7, 2018 at 6:53 pm
September 8, 2018 at 3:36 am
I agree breastfeeding has so many great advantages for moms and babies. and it is equally important to learn correct technique. you had covered all points so greatly, I am sure it will help a lot to new moms in their breastfeeding journey.
September 8, 2018 at 9:04 am
September 8, 2018 at 11:21 am
Excellent tips for new moms…important is not to give up.. I remember my son did not latched properly for a month.. But I did not give up to top feed. But yes of course there are situations when you have to give top feed.. Be proud about both the situations . You are a mom 🙂
September 8, 2018 at 11:11 pm
Amazing tips u have shared I still remember my doc told me to feed baby after every 2 hours and for that many times I woke up my baby.#MyFriendAlexa #DelhibloggerReads
September 10, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Those are some very helpful tips. To add to it, new moms shouldnt feel shy and if they require to be left alone, they should speak up. Much needed advise in India. 🙂