Birthdays are fun and remind us of how time flies especially when you are a mom. I have planned and organised many birthday parties for my daughters but now they are grown up and they both are out of that ‘mom organising balloon party’ zone. I am sharing different ways to celebrate your child’s birthday in this post.
This year it was a big change as my elder daughter didn’t want a party but wanted to spend time with friends and family. Actually, we are in for all kinds of surprises as she is a teenager.
I love parties, celebrations and surprises. Who doesn’t? At our house, we make sure to celebrate each and every small moment. It can be an outing, pizza party, ice cream party, or just a special meal but the point is to celebrate the happy moments. Keep these things in mind when planning a birthday party-
Keep these things in mind when planning a birthday party-
- Child’s age
- Child’s interests
- How big do you want the party?
Party planning must-haves / Better to pre-plan these-
- Return gifts
Creative ways to organise a child’s party-
- Theme– My elder one’s first birthday party was a complete DIY by me and it was fun to do everything myself. It was a jungle theme party as she loves animals. I made all the decorative stuff and props at home. You can decide on a theme depending on your child’s interest. When they are small, you can decide for them. I am sure they will have their preferences once they are 5+.
- Decoration– This can be decided according to the theme and can be done in many creative ways. You can go DIY or get the theme-based stuff online too. There is plenty of decorative stuff available in the market these days but it’s fun to make things ourselves. Try DIY at home if possible, it is so much fun! If DIY is not an option because of lack of time, consider having a professional party planner or order online to decorate. Balloons, inflatables, and banners can be a great joy-bringing decorating idea. For example, for a farm-themed birthday party, personalized options may include a barnyard animal-shaped balloon or a customizable inflatable farm tractor. Together with banners that display the name of the guest of honor, happy birthday wishes, or congratulatory messages hung across walls or doorways you shall have a complete view of the theme and decoration.
- Food- Who says you can’t go creative with food? There are different ways to give a twist to normal food according to your party theme. For the animal theme, you can order a jungle theme cake and make fruit salad, for a princess theme you can make pink cupcakes, and ice cream pops for a summer party. A post coming up soon only on party foods. 🙂
- Games and fun– You can play different games according to your child’s age and also according to the venue. If it’s inside the house, make sure to plan games in which there is no running or anything which can turn your house upside down. If it’s an outdoor party, you can plan many games like a treasure hunt which kids enjoy. It’s a good idea to plan extra games than you think you will need.
- DIY parties– It is a great idea to get kids involved. This is a great idea for a creative party but you have to make sure to make it fun. Otherwise, kids lose interest pretty fast. Arrange for some DIY kits or gather some craft material that they can use to create something. You can make it fun by turning it into a competition and giving them a timeline to finish it.
These are a few tips from my experiences with my 2 girls. I have a lot of other ideas related to food and games. I will be sharing them soon. Till then, why don’t you also share some ideas to celebrate your child’s birthday?
August 22, 2017 at 10:37 am
I really like the DIY party concept. All the kids can use their DIY kits to make something creative with relishing birthday food.
August 22, 2017 at 10:46 am
August 22, 2017 at 11:37 am
Congrats Monika. Its a lovely post with some new ideas. I too DIY everything for my Kid’s 2nd birthday.
August 22, 2017 at 6:35 pm
DIY for kids is a great idea. I am sure to do this some day. Thanks for the tips
August 22, 2017 at 7:11 pm
August 22, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Interesting to read about birthday parties, do not attend many, but the post reminds me of my own birthday parties as a kid 🙂
August 22, 2017 at 9:39 pm
August 22, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Love the simple ideas! I personally don’t have a kid yet but im planning a child’s birthday theme party for my grandmother. It should be a lot of fun!
August 23, 2017 at 10:07 pm
August 22, 2017 at 11:49 pm
My grandsons birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I’m going to share some of these tips with his mom.
August 23, 2017 at 10:07 pm
August 23, 2017 at 12:53 am
These are some great ideas! We normally either do a family party or we have a party at another place, like a trampoline one so we don’t have to clean up afterwards 😉
August 23, 2017 at 10:08 pm
We also prefer having it outside now as my girls are big now. It is much less work. Thanks.
August 23, 2017 at 1:05 pm
Enjoyed the tips .Will look forward to party food tips.I am sure they will be super useful
August 23, 2017 at 6:45 pm
August 23, 2017 at 3:19 pm
I absolutely love a themed party, and especially the diy ones really show how much effort and thought went into planning the event! Lucky little ones! Getting the kids involved is a brilliant way to keep them entertained and make them feel like they are part of the planning process!
August 23, 2017 at 6:45 pm
August 23, 2017 at 3:35 pm
That are some great tips!!! I always had a themed birthday party and I loved it 🙂
August 23, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Thats great. Thanks.
August 23, 2017 at 6:42 pm
I love all of these. I try to incorporate them when planning birthdays for our littles!
August 23, 2017 at 6:47 pm
August 23, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Involving your child in the birthday party celeberation is a great idea. They feel so excited and happy. And we also get to know what they really enjoy.
August 23, 2017 at 10:06 pm
August 23, 2017 at 9:01 pm
I am all about celebrating with food! Haha, and I mean for myself. Nothing beats your favourite yummies with your favourite people.
August 23, 2017 at 9:56 pm
I agree..festivities are incomplete without food. Thanks.
August 24, 2017 at 10:20 am
Some great tips. Love the DIY idea and of course Food. Thanks!
August 24, 2017 at 10:30 pm
August 24, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Agreed … nice post
August 24, 2017 at 8:35 pm
Great ideas. Creativity is important as is fun and food that kids appreciate.
August 24, 2017 at 10:32 pm
Thanks Corinne for stopping by.
August 24, 2017 at 9:39 pm
Wonderful writeup!! Reading this it was a nostalgia of doing preparations of my daughter z bday
August 24, 2017 at 10:33 pm
August 25, 2017 at 11:14 am
Super ideas. HOsting birthday parties outside is so cliched. Unique ideas such are these are appreciated always.
August 25, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Thanks..Glad you liked it.
August 25, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Loved the creative ideas you have listed for kids birthday parties. I love planning karma’s birthday and doing DIYs for it so surely gonna be putting these ideas to good use.
August 25, 2017 at 12:48 pm
August 25, 2017 at 1:14 pm
That’s really fabulous way of organising a themed birthday party for your kids and loved ones. This way we can perfectly managed everything if it is planned like this. Love your ideas. Will keep this post saved for my future reference. Thanks for sharing
August 25, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Thanks Minakshi..Glad you liked it.
August 26, 2017 at 4:04 pm
These are some really cool tips. I like the DIY theme and looking forward for the party food post
August 26, 2017 at 6:13 pm
August 28, 2017 at 1:44 pm
I like the DIY kits and games for kids. We did beans picked by straw on her last birthday. My girl is 5 so she takes part in most of the decoration stuff. Thanks, this is a nice compilation.
August 28, 2017 at 2:04 pm