Walnuts are one of the healthiest dry fruits. It is one of my favourite too and I prefer it to other dry fruits. They are a powerhouse of nutrition with good fats and a mix of minerals and vitamins. Today I am sharing a yummy and easy to make walnut halwa recipe but before I share this recipe, let me share some more benefits of walnuts with you.
What are dry fruits and what are the ways one should include them in their diet?
Before we talk about dry fruits, let me answer some common queries about dry fruits. Dry fruits are the dried form of fruits from which most of the water content is removed using different methods like sun drying and dryers etc.
You can have dry fruits every day in any form. You can soak them in water overnight to get the best nutritional benefits. Soaking helps to remove the inhibitors and some toxins present in them. Therefore, nutrient bioavailability is better.
All about walnuts –
- They are good for heart as they are the only nuts which have a high quantity of omega fatty acids. These also help to lower blood pressure.
- You can have them directly or add them to different recipes like just sprinkle them over your oats in breakfast or use them in baking cakes and other stuff.
- They are a powerhouse of nutrition as they contain minerals and vitamins like Selenium, iron, zinc, Vitamin E, etc.
- They have high oil content so get rancid fast. Keep them in the refrigerator if you have large quantities with you.
Walnut halwa recipe –
I use walnuts a lot in my baking recipes like walnut banana cake and chocolate brownies for kids. Recently tried this halwa recipe which is healthy and yummy too. I used A2 ghee by Kapiva which is handmade from curd and not cream.
Hope you liked the recipe. Do try and let me know how you like it.
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tsp Desi Ghee
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 cup walnuts
- First of all, soak walnuts in milk for at least one hour.
- After one hour, take out the walnuts from milk and grind them coarsely in a blender until it looks like a paste. You can add little milk if you feel its too thick and walnuts are not blending easily.
- Keep the remaining milk as we will be using it later.
- Now take a pan and heat ghee in it. Add walnuts paste and cook it on low flame for some time.
- Once its golden brown in colour, add the remaining milk and cook it for some more time.
- Once the walnuts soak all the milk, you can add sugar and mix nicely.
- Now it's ready to serve and eat. You can add cardamom powder and garnish it with your choice of dry fruits.
You can also use jaggery in place of sugar.