Makhana is a commonly used ingredient in Indian cooking. It is also called Fox nuts, Lotus seeds, and phool makhana. It is used in Indian dishes like makhana kheer, makhana curries and also eaten as snacks in roasted form. It is a powerhouse of nutrition with many health benefits. In this post, I will be sharing about makhana nutrition and matar makhana recipe.
Nutrition and health benefits of makhanas –
1 They are rich in antioxidants and that’s why good for your overall health. They are anti-aging and great for your skin.
2 They are high in fiber and a good source of protein. That’s why it’s a famous food to be used during pooja and fasts. It can keep you full for a longer period of time due to a low glycaemic index.
3 They are high in nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and also low in sodium.
4 They are great detoxifying agents and help to reduce inflammation in the body.
So, next time you are looking for a quick healthy snack, just roast makhanas, and add your choice of spices to enjoy. Roasted makhanas is the easiest way to enjoy the goodness of these superfoods.
Matar Makhana recipe –
It is a curry recipe with a rich gravy. You can make it without peas and include any other ingredients like paneer, or any other vegetables too.
- Makhana- 1 cup
- Matar/peas- 1 cup (boiled)
- Onion- 1 big (sliced)
- Tomatoes- 2 medium-sized chopped
- Ginger- 1-inch piece
- Salt- As per your taste
- Turmeric Powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala- 1 teaspoon
- Kasoori Methi- 1 teaspoon
- Oil- 2 tablespoon
- Whole masalas – Jeera, black peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon, etc. (according to your choice)
- First of all, dry roast makhana till it becomes crispy. Keep them aside once done. Also, soak cashews in warm water for at least 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan and whole masalas and saute till done. Then add onion and ginger. Fry till done and now add chopped tomatoes. And cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Now add soaked cashew nuts and fry lightly in the mixture on slow flame.
- Switch off the gas and let this mixture cool. Once it's cool, blend everything in a blender into a smooth mixture.
- Now keep a kadhai, heat oil and roast dry masalas like red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder and salt.
- Now add the above mixture in it and add some water (according to the consistency you like) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add boiled peas and makhanas and cook for another 5-10 minutes until done.
- Add kasoori methi at last and enjoy with roti or rice.
You can make this recipe without peas too. Also, instead of cashews, you can use khoya for a rich gravy.
Also read, other yummy and healthy recipes-
June 11, 2020 at 11:27 am
I usually munch on roasted makhanas, but ye recipe is good. Will surely give it a try sometime. Healthy bhi delicious bhi ??