Most people think I am a Gujarati when they come to know my surname and many are unaware that I am a Punjabi. We are a typical Punjabi family who loves to eat. My next recipe reminded me of all these facts. It is a twist to a normal and very popular Gujarati snack. My husband and I love Gujarati snack food items. On the top of this list is Dhokla which I frequently make at home. Now, most of you know that a dhokla is a fermented dish made with chickpea flour or besan. But we are giving a twist to this traditional dish and making a variation of typical yellow dhokla.
We are making a white dhokla. The main twist in this dish is the ingredient which is used to make it and its time to reveal that ingredient. Today I will be sharing a recipe of dhokla made out of idli dosa batter. Surprised? Confused?
Don’t be! I reacted the same way when I came to know about it. One of my friends got it for us at a recent potluck and we all loved it. I asked her the recipe and sharing with you all today.
First, let’s talk about the nutritional benefits of this dish. It is a completely light and healthy dish as it has the goodness of rice and dal in it. Another added advantage is that it is steamed. A perfect snack with fewer calories and believe me, it tastes yummy too.
White dhokla is a variation of normal dhokla but equally healthy and yummy. I am sure you are going to like it.
- For dhokla -
- Dosa/idli batter – 1 cup
- Fruit salt – ½ tsp
- Green chilly and ginger paste – 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- For the seasoning –
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafoetida or hing – ½ Tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1tsp
- Red whole Chilly – few
- Chopped coriander – for garnishing
- Take dosa batter and add fruit salt, green chilly and ginger paste, salt and mix nicely.
- Now place cooker with water on gas so that it is warm by the time we start actual steaming.
- Now place dosa batter in a steaming pan and place it in the cooker.
- Close the cooker lid but do not pressure cook it. Remove the whistle.
- Let it steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Switch off the gas and let it stay for 5 minutes before opening the lid.
- Let it cool. By that time prepare the seasoning mix.
- Now let's make the seasoning by cooking all the ingredients mentioned above in oil and pour it over the dhokla.
- Cut it into pieces and serve with coriander or coconut chutney.
Read here – My A to Z challenge posts 2017
Find out more – Nutrition tips and nutritional recipes
Read my theme reveal post here.
I am sharing 26 healthy recipes under 30 minutes full this month.
See the recipes till now –
A for Apple coconut squares
B for a Bracing burger
C for Carrot walnut muffins