It is mango season again and my younger one who loves mangoes is extremely excited and happy. Last week only we got our first lot of mangoes as she was after us to bring them soon. I try not to buy them until its season as we all know what all goes around to turn unripe mangoes into ripe ones.
Some time back I started a series called Nutrition Niche. This series has healthy recipes and some tips and tricks from me as a dietician mom. You can see all the recipes and posts under the nutrition category on my blog.
My first post for this series was a mango dish. A very simple and yummy recipe which kids just love. There is one more post which I wrote with detailed benefits and uses of mangoes and a recipe. See it here – The mango story.
So, today I will just share some main points in brief about it –
- Mangoes are rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
- They are rich in potassium and copper too.
- They are seasonal fruits which are available from March end.
- The mango peel is also a very good source of phytochemicals.
- These can be used in many different dishes and forms like make a mango shake with the puree or add the mango cubes in salads.
Our main ingredient for today’s recipe is brown rice. Brown rice is a whole grain as its hull is not removed. In white rice, hull, outer bran layer and germ are all removed. For this reason, it is high in fibre and also rich in vitamins and minerals. They have not undergone the refining process that white rice goes through.
- Brown rice is rich in Vitamin B, potassium, selenium and magnesium.
- They can help in weight loss due to high fiber content. They are slowly digested and keeps blood sugar under control.
- Brown rice needs little more water for cooking. For one cup brown rice, you can use 2 ½ cups of water.
- As it has a low glycaemic index, it is a healthier version of rice.
Mango brown rice salad is one of my favourite salads as besides being healthy, it’s yummy too. Two main ingredients are mangoes and brown rice but I include other salad vegetables like cucumber and onion. You can add any other fruit too according to your liking.
It is a perfect summer salad for its light and healthy. It’s a complete meal in itself and you can increase or decrease the quantity of rice in it according to your liking.
- 1½ cups brown rice
- 1 spoon lemon juice
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1green cucumber, peeled and diced
- few chunks of pineapple
- I onion finely chopped
- 1tsp olive oil
- Salt according to taste
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Add salt to the water and then add the rice.
- Cook for about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until grains have cooled. Shake off excess water.
- In the meantime, whisk the lime juice, olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
- Add the rice mixture, mango, cucumber, onions, and pineapple and toss to combine.
- Season with additional salt if necessary.
Read here – My A to Z challenge posts 2017
Find out more – Nutrition tips and nutritional recipes
Read my theme reveal post here.
I am sharing 26 healthy recipes under 30 minutes full this month.
See the recipes till now –
A for Apple coconut squares
B for a Bracing burger
C for Carrot walnut muffins
D for Dhokla with a twist
E for Eggless Pancake
F for Fruit chocolate pops
I for Instant paneer tikka
J for Jaggery Dates chutney
K for Kale grilled sandwich
L for Lemon cranberry mojito