Recently a brand of wheat flour was in the news as people thought it contains plastic. There was a lot of confusion and speculation about it and people were just sharing the news without knowing the reality.
Now for the clarification, the gluten present in the wheat flour gives it elasticity. This is the reason for the flour to stretch and feel little elastic when you wash it with water. Also, there is a lot of gluten free counterblast lately. You must have heard everyone talking about eating gluten free products to stay healthy.
What is Gluten?
Gluten is a protein found in some grains like wheat, rye, barley etc. It is responsible for the elasticity and gives that chewiness to your rotis and you can see it in all the baked goods made out of wheat products too. Not all grains have gluten in them. Rice, millet, quinoa, buckwheat are all gluten free.
Who should avoid it?
Celiac disease is a condition in which a person is either gluten sensitive or gluten resistant. Their body produces abnormal immune response while breaking down gluten during digestion. These people can avoid wheat products and can opt for products which are gluten free.
These days’ people who are not allergic to gluten are also avoiding it. Reason?
Reasons can be different for different people. Many started following a gluten free diet to lose weight. It aids to weight loss as you are avoiding all the starchy foods and opting for healthier versions like quinoa, brown rice etc.
On the other hand, going completely gluten free can lead to nutrient deficiency. Wheat and other flours are rich in essential nutrients like Vitamin B, iron etc. So, you might not get all these nutrients if you stop eating them completely. A gluten free diet is doable but you have to be really careful while following it.
Benefits of going gluten free –
- It is good for weight loss but be careful while going completely gluten free.
- It can reduce gas, bloating and other digestive problems caused by gluten present in the products you are eating.
- Gluten free basically means carbs free and carbs include sugars and starchy stuff. It can be good for your health to reduce carbs indirectly.
- If you are going gluten free, eat fresh fruits, vegetables and a good amount of plant and animal proteins to stay well nourished.
- Some studies show its good for your brain as high carb diet affects blood sugar and can ultimately affect your brain.
[bctt tweet=”Going gluten free? Choose wisely as all the gluten free products available in the market are not healthy. #Nutrition” username=”Deepagandhi1″]
Here is a list of few healthy gluten-free foods/ingredients –
Although gluten free diet is easy to understand, it’s difficult to track. Why? Because it is tricky as gluten can be hiding in any food item and you won’t know of it. Planning on going gluten free? Check these out –
- Fruits and vegetables are safe as they are all gluten free. So, if you are planning on going gluten free, fruits and vegetables are your safest bet.
- All non-vegetarian food items such as chicken, eggs, meat, and fish are gluten free but you have to pay attention to the ingredients used while cooking them.
- All milk and milk products like cheese, curd, yogurt, butter, and margarine are gluten free. But there are always exceptions. For example, in case of cheese, there are many different types available in the market. So, be sure to read the ingredients before buying.
I am sharing a simple recipe which can be easily made at home and is gluten free. It is the simplest recipe for mango mousse which I recently tried making. Normally a mousse is made by using gelatine or something similar as it needs a certain texture but I didn’t use it in this recipe.
I also shared a gluten free spinach balls recipe. It is a healthy and yummy recipe with rice flour.
Mango mousse recipe
- Mangoes – 3 peeled, cut and pureed
- Whipped Cream - 1 small Amul cream packet (200ml)
- Sugar – 2-3 tbsp/according to taste
- Half mango chopped for topping.
- First of all, whip cream nicely either with a hand blender or electric blender. (make sure it's chilled or it will curdle)
- Now blend mangoes and sugar together in a blender.
- Now nicely fold this mango puree into cream till it's mixed properly.
- Serve chilled. Top it up with fresh cut mangoes.
To see all my Nutrition posts and healthy recipes- Nutrition Niche
We are a team of bloggers participating in #OpenNTalk and writing together as #BloggingDivas.
This post is published for #OpenNTalk Blogger’s League hosted by @GleefulBlogger and @WigglingPen in association with SummerBarn, Vedantika Herbals, Nyassa, Explore Kids World.