Pasta and macaroni are kids favourite and they love to have it anytime. I believe its easier to make kids eat a dish when it’s something of their choice. So, just twist a normal recipe little bit and make it yummy for them. I normally add colourful and seasonal vegetables to not only make it healthy but interesting and appealing for kids.
Few tips to make a simple dish interesting for your picky eaters –
- Add colour to a dish by using a variety of vegetables.
- Chop the vegetables finely so that kids can’t remove them while eating a dish. The trick is to merge them with the main dish.
- You can grate vegetables like carrot or add spinach in puree form.
- Its ok to add little butter, cheese or seasonings to make it appetising.
- Make sure you serve according to your child’s age.
- Kids look out for something different from normal paratha or roti in the lunch box and this is one of the recipes which is always a hit.
This recipe of Indian style vegetable macaroni with cheese is a hit with all of us and not only kids. So, kids and adults both can enjoy this vegetable macaroni recipe. You can give this easy vegetable macaroni in school and office lunch box too.
Easy Indian style vegetable macaroni recipe –
- Macaroni 2 Cups
- Carrots (chopped) – 1 big or two medium
- Capsicum (chopped) - 1
- Corns – ½ cup
- Onion (chopped) 1 Small
- Tomatoes – 2 medium (pureed)
- Tomato ketchup (hot and sour) – 2 Tsp
- Chili Sauce 1 Tsp
- Salt as You Required
- Black Pepper Powder 1 Tsp
- Cheese (grated) – ½ cup
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Italian herbs mix – 1 tsp (optional)
- Chop the vegetables and keep aside. Now boil the macaroni with enough water and salt. For boiling macaroni, take 2-3 cups of water in a pan and add 1 tsp oil and salt. When water starts boiling, add macaroni and cook till its done.
- Now strain the macaroni and wash it under cold water and keep it aside.
- Now take a pan and add oil. Add chopped onions and once they turn pink, add tomato puree. Add salt and black pepper and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add finely chopped capsicum, carrots and corns to it. Saute for around 2 minutes so that they are nice and crunchy. Don’t overcook the vegetables.
- Now add the grated cheese and let it melt and mix in the vegetable mixture.
- Add tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and Italian pasta spices to the above mixture.
- Mix it well and add macaroni. Stir it nicely so that macaroni gets nicely coated with the sauce and spices.
- Garnish it with some coriander leaves and serve it hot.
Use any vegetables of your choice and Italian herbs is also optional.
Make sure not to overcook macaroni while boiling. It cooks faster than pasta, so keep stirring in between while boiling to check if it's done.
You can add or modify the easy Indian style vegetable macaroni recipe according to your taste and liking.
In Nutrition niche, I not only share recipes with a healthy twist but also some tips as a dietitian mom. See other recipes-
Mango Mania for kids