Its mango season and what can be a better time to try out new recipes with the king of fruits. Mango rice recipe is a simple recipe which is easy to make and yummy too. I grew up eating mangoes and loved all the recipes my mom used to make with them. I would wait for summers mainly for two things, mangoes and summer vacations.
This year I thought of trying different recipes with this fruit and I came to know of this recipe from one of my Tamil friend. I changed it a little bit according to my family’s taste and came up with this yummy recipe. Mostly we use mangoes in desserts or sweet preparations like ice creams, shakes or drinks. But believe me, it tastes just as great in any savoury dish too.
The taste and appearance of this recipe resemble lemon rice. So, I try not to use a very sour or unripe mango to actually get the taste of mangoes in this dish. This recipe is simple and you can use an unripe mango but make sure it’s not a green mango which is too tangy. A mango which is slightly tart but not overripe is perfect.
Mango Rice Recipe –
Mango is a nutritious fruit and I have mentioned the benefits of the fruit here. As its rich in vitamins and minerals, it makes this recipe not only easy and yummy but healthy too. It’s been almost a month since I shared recipes on my blog. April was a month of cooking, experimenting and sharing healthy recipes on my blog. 26 healthy recipes under 30 minutes was the theme of my writing in April and now few selected ones are available in my new EBook. It includes a mango recipe – mango brown rice which is completely different from what I am sharing today.
Coming back to the mango rice recipe, it is a combination of different flavours but our aim is to bring out the mango flavour. I try not to add too many other ingredients to avoid the main flavour getting masked.
Try this recipe and include mangoes in different recipes to make the most of the mango season.
Mango rice recipe
- 1 cup rice
- 1 raw mango, peeled and finely grated
- small onion chopped
- Few green chillies or whole red chillies
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt - to taste
- ¾th tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves for garnishing
- First of all, cook rice completely by adding some salt and water and keep it aside.
- Now take a pan and add oil and heat it and once oil is warm, add peanuts and stir well.
- Now add chana dal, urad dal and cook well for few seconds.
- After that add whole red chillies and saute well for few seconds.
- Now add mustard seeds and let them crackle and add curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it turns pink.
- After it is all done, add turmeric powder and salt as per taste and mix nicely.
- Add grated mango and mix well for few seconds.
- Now add cooked rice to it and mix well and cook for two minutes.
- Lastly, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
This recipe can also give it in school lunch box.
You can choose mangoes according to your taste. If you don't like too sour, go for little ripe green mango.
In Nutrition niche, I not only share recipes with a healthy twist but also some tips as a dietitian mom. See previous week’s recipes-