My family loves Mexican food and whenever we plan to dine outside, my daughter’s first preference is always Mexican food. Today in Nutrition niche, I am sharing the recipe of a Burrito which is not only healthy but also yummy.
Anything which is homemade is always better than outside food. The best part is we can give a healthy twist to the recipe.
Today, I am posting a healthy burrito recipe which can be easily made at home.
A burrito is like a roll which is made out of tortillas (similar as a big Chapatti) made into a roll with vegetables or chicken and sauces inside. Traditional Mexican burrito has mostly beans and vegetables or chicken but now different varieties are available.
Dietician mom’s healthy twist-
The outside part is called Tortilla which is actually the main part of the roll. Mostly tortillas we get outside are made out of white flour or cornflour. I included whole wheat flour to make them healthy.
[bctt tweet=”Do u know white flour is a bleached flour which has high glycemic index & is bad for health? #Dieticianmom #nutrition” username=”Deepagandhi1″]
Other main ingredients in a burrito are sour cream and salsa which can also be made at home easily.
You can use hung curd instead of sour cream and add salt and pepper. For salsa, finely chop tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, coriander and little lemon juice in a blender. Add salt to taste.
Everything is available in the market. But why not try and make this at home if possible?
First I am sharing the healthy Tortilla recipe-
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup white flour
- 3 Tbsp oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup warm water
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oil, and salt.
- Slowly add the warm water while stirring until a rough dough comes together. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Knead for about two minutes. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough equal sized balls.
- Roll each ball into a round like a chappati.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and grease lightly.
- Place it over the tawa and let cook until bubbles form (about 1 minute.)
- Flip over and cook another minute, pressing down with a spatula if needed. Repeat same with remaining dough.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container.
Burritos are like rolls which include different ingredients rolled out into a complete dish in itself.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion Sliced
- 2 small tomato chopped
- 40 gm Cheddar or mozzarella cheese Grated
- 1 tbsp Sour cream or mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Salsa
- 2 big Flour tortillas
- 1 cup Rice Boiled and sauteed
- 1 cup Kidney beans (Rajma) Boiled
- 1/2 small Lettuce chopped
- Little Capsicum and corns sauteed with salt and pepper, optional
- 20 gms Chicken or paneer (Depending on what you are making) cooked in oil with salt and spices)
- 1 tbsp Guacamole
Place the tortillas on a clean surface. Place some veggies.
Place rice and chicken or paneer on one side of the tortilla.
Put beans, guacamole, 1 tbsp salsa, 1 tsp sour cream or mayonnaise, few onions, and sprinkle some cheese.
Fold the two opposite ends of the roti over the stuffing.
Start rolling the roti from one open end over the 2 folded sides and wrap it tightly. Repeat step 1 to 3 to make 5 more burritos.
Serve it immediately
- It is a good idea to make a roll out of vegetables and other ingredients for kids.
- You can make it just with veggies without chicken or paneer.
- Do include little cheese and sauces to make it appetizing.
- The main thing in this recipe are the ingredients. Just add it in the correct amount and that’s it.
Guacamole is an avocado-based dip which is used extensively in Mexican dishes. See this yummy guacamole recipe by Rachna.
A burrito is a complete dish in itself. My daughters love it and I am happy as it contains everything healthy. Do try it and do let me know if you have any queries.
In Nutrition niche, I not only share recipes with a healthy twist but also some tips as a dietician mom. See previous week’s recipe here.