Weight loss is not an easy process and it takes a lot of patience, time and energy. It is very important to remember certain nutrients while losing weight. There are a few essential nutrients which our body needs and cannot be ignored.
Here is the list of few of the 3 essential nutrients to take care while losing weight along with some Do’s and don’ts-
- Iron– Low levels of iron in the diet can lead to problems like iron deficiency anaemia which further can lead to other problems like fatigue, dizziness, headache etc. Please include good iron sources, such as red meat and iron-fortified cereals, fish, beans and leafy green vegetables. Also include good sources of Vitamin C such as tomatoes, lemon etc. which help in the absorption of Iron.
- Calcium– Milk, yoghurt, and cheese are rich natural sources of calcium and Non-dairy sources include vegetables, such as cabbage, kale, and broccoli, spinach and Ragi. If you are trying to lose weight, try to take low-fat dairy products. But do not ignore this nutrient as you need it for strong bones, teeth and also muscles.
- Vitamin B– Vitamin B is important as it makes RBC’S (Red blood cells) in our body. Also, provide energy to our body. Food sources of B vitamins include leafy green vegetables, whole grains, yoghurt, eggs, and seafood. But it is mostly present in non-Vegetarian food items and very less in fruits and vegetables.
Do’s and Don’ts-
- People see carbohydrates as their enemy while losing weight but the truth is it is important to consume the right kind of carbs. One should avoid sugar-sweetened drinks, cakes, pastries, candies and anything which has extra added sugar in it. Carbs like whole grain cereals and fruits and vegetables are nutrient-rich carbohydrates which are a good source of energy too.
- Try taking more proteins in diet especially in the mornings. Protein-rich food items keep you full for longer period of time and keep hunger in control.
- Do not skip meals and try it 6 small meals throughout the day.
- It is important to make lifestyle changes as only dieting is not going to help you. There should be a good combination of ‘Food and exercise‘ both.
- Make it a habit to look at the ingredients list while buying anything. Sometimes there are hidden ingredients which we are not aware of like corn syrup, added sugars etc.
The bottom line is eating healthy and be active. Do not starve yourself and as long as you are eating healthy food, there is no need to fret and worry about being healthy.
October 9, 2016 at 8:08 pm
One needs to really love their body, weight loss will follow. And your post is bang on. Eat healthy and exercise and be happy. 🙂
October 9, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Thanks ramya..glad you liked it 🙂
October 10, 2016 at 9:52 am
Very well written- we often forget these key things while on a weight loss journey. We ignore our body and end up ill rather than healthy. Cheers
October 10, 2016 at 11:16 am
Thanks Shalini for stopping by ..glad you liked it 🙂
October 10, 2016 at 12:37 pm
I couldn’t agree more. Diet is as important as the exercise, if not more. Peanuts and Chana are also very good sources of protein. They are tasty to munch on too. Its also very important to maintain the order of intake in my experience. You can read about it on http://www.mycity4kids.com/parenting/mandavi-jaiswal/article/why-do-i-struggle-to-stay-fit-despite-eating-healthy-food
October 10, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Agree Mandavi on all the points you mentioned ..will surely read your post..thanks for stopping by 🙂
October 10, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Yes, it is really important to have a balanced diet even when trying to lose weight. Otherwise the overall well being is impacted! Informative post!
October 10, 2016 at 6:09 pm
AGree..Thanks for stopping by Reema 🙂
October 10, 2016 at 6:39 pm
I’m too lazy to follow all these things but yes balanced diet is a big “Yes” for everyone. God knows when am going to follow all the “Do’s” from the above list. 🙁
Btw liked your post! 🙂
October 10, 2016 at 11:15 pm
You are fine until you are active and eating healthy..No need to follow crash diets..thanks Saumy..glad you liked it 🙂
October 11, 2016 at 3:29 pm
One should have healthy living.
October 11, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Agree..Thanks for stopping by 🙂
October 12, 2016 at 6:18 pm
yeah we all get confuse between healthy eating & dieting. your post will take us towards healthy lifestyle 🙂
October 12, 2016 at 6:21 pm
I hope people understand difference between both..thanks dew 🙂
October 15, 2016 at 6:52 am
Taking care that nutrient balance is not compromised during weight loss is tough if you are following a particular diet. Most of the diets are restrictive about one or more food groups – which I find most annoying. Your post highlights the dangers of restrictive dieting – instead eating sensibly and exercising would be a better way to lose weight.
October 15, 2016 at 7:37 am
Agree..If one is following crash diets..nutrient needs are not met. It is important to just keep a check on what you are eating..Thanks for stopping by 🙂
October 15, 2016 at 9:37 am
Some Great Tips and Suggestions ! Thank you !
October 15, 2016 at 10:53 am
Thanks Ajay for stopping by 🙂
October 16, 2016 at 7:32 pm
You are right Deepa! losing health with weight becomes dangerous ..
Menaka Bharathi has recently published http://simpleindianmom.in/5-easy-soil-testing-you-can-do-it-yourselves-for-growing-organic-vegetables
October 16, 2016 at 9:33 pm
Thanks a lot Menaka 🙂
February 3, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Yes, you are right. Eat healthy and balanced diet during weight managemant plan is necessary.
February 3, 2017 at 8:36 pm
Exactly..healthy eating and staying active is the key to successful weight loss. Thanks a lot for stopping by 🙂