Weight loss is not an easy process and it takes a lot of patience, time and energy. It is very important to remember certain nutrients while losing weight. There are few essential nutrients which our body needs and cannot be ignored.
Here is the list of few of the 3 essential nutrients to take care while losing weight along with some Do’s and don’ts-
- Iron– Low levels of iron in the diet can lead to problems like iron deficiency anaemia which further can lead to other problems like fatigue, dizziness, headache etc. Please include good iron sources, such as red meat and iron-fortified cereals, fish, beans and leafy green vegetables. Also include good sources of Vitamin C such as tomatoes, lemon etc. which help in absorption of Iron.
- Calcium– Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich natural sources of calcium and Non-dairy sources include vegetables, such as cabbage, kale, and broccoli, spinach and Ragi. If you are trying to lose weight, try to take low-fat dairy products. But do not ignore this nutrient as you need it for strong bones, teeth and also muscles.
- Vitamin B– Vitamin B is important as it makes RBC’S (Red blood cells) in our body. Also, provide energy to our body. Food sources of B vitamins include leafy green vegetables, whole grains, yogurt, eggs, and seafood. But it is mostly present in non-Vegetarian food items and very less in fruits and vegetables.
Do’s and Don’ts-
- People see carbohydrates as their enemy while losing weight but the truth is it is important to consume right kind of carbs. One should avoid sugar-sweetened drinks, cakes, pastries, candies and anything which has extra added sugar in it. Carbs like whole grain cereals and fruits and vegetables are nutrient-rich carbohydrates which are a good source of energy too.
- Try taking more proteins in diet especially in the mornings. Protein-rich food items keep you full for longer period of time and keep hunger in control.
- Do not skip meals and try it 6 small meals throughout the day.
- It is important to make lifestyle changes as only dieting is not going to help you. There should be a good combination of ‘Food and exercise‘ both.
- Make it a habit to look at the ingredients list while buying anything. Sometimes there are hidden ingredients which we are not aware of like corn syrup, added sugars etc.
The bottom line is eating healthy and be active. Do not starve yourself and as long as you are eating healthy food, there is no need to fret and worry about being healthy.