Sprouts are my favourite for many reasons. They are not only healthy but can be easily used in many different recipes.
What are sprouts?
Sprouts are basically germinated seeds or grains. By sprouting the germs and pulses, you can increase their nutritional content. You can sprout channas, beans, and lentil and pulses to make them nutritionally rich. They are wonder foods due to the presence of many vitamins and minerals in them.
How to make sprouts?
Sprouting is a very easy process but takes a long time. Soak the dal in water overnight. After that, you can wash the grains or lentils and tie it in a muslin cloth and sprinkle water every day. Keep it in a warm and dark place and n almost 3-4 days, you will see them sprouting. Another way is to use a sprouter which is easily available in the market and use them for this purpose. You can use it after washing properly immediately or even steam it and use it.
Nutritional benefits of sprouts –
- They are very rich in proteins.
- Normally pulses are not a good source of Vitamin C but sprouting makes it a rich source of this vitamin.
- They are rich in antioxidants.
- They are rich in minerals like Zinc, folate, and potassium etc.
- Sprouts are rich in fiber too.
Sprouts can be used in many different ways but the best way is to have it in salads with other vegetables. Coming to the recipe, I called it special sprouts salad as it is a mixture of different type of sprouts like black channas, and green sprouts with vegetables and peanuts.
Special sprouts salad is a healthy salad recipe which you can have as a mid-day snack or even as dinner to keep it light and healthy at night. It is a gluten-free and high protein salad.
- 1 cup sprouted moong
- 1 cup sprouted black channas
- ½ cup tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup cucumber chopped
- ½ cup peanuts (lightly roasted)
- Little bit coriander chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 green chili chopped (optional)
- Black pepper and salt according to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, adjust to taste
- Sprout the dal and
channasand use it when they are sprouted and ready. Channas take some more time than moong dal to sprout.
- Chop all the vegetables and keep aside.
- In a salad bowl, add tomatoes, cucumber, and onions. Now add sprouts, peanuts, and green chilies.
- Add salt, pepper, lemon juice and mix properly.
- Garnish with coriander and serve fresh.
It makes for a healthy and good lunch option to take to the office or school.
Another way to make salad is to cook the sprouts with salt and water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and cook two minutes.
You can also use different dressings with this salad. Make dressings with ingredients like olive oil, yogurt etc.
Read here – My A to Z challenge posts 2017
Find out more – Nutrition tips and nutritional recipes
Read my theme reveal post here.
I am sharing 26 healthy recipes under 30 minutes full this month.
See the recipes till now –
A for Apple coconut squares
B for a Bracing burger
C for Carrot walnut muffins
D for Dhokla with a twist
E for Eggless Pancake
F for Fruit chocolate pops
I for Instant paneer tikka
J for Jaggery Dates chutney
K for Kale grilled sandwich
L for Lemon cranberry mojito
M for Mango brown rice salad
O for Oats beetroot Dosa
Q for Quinoa veg salad
R for Red sauce pasta with spinach